Why HS ball is NOT irrelevant.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'll have to agree to the TB and college recruitment to a point. AZ is not coming to a HS game in TN to watch a player in school ball. But yes, our local three D1's will, along with the numourous D2, NAIA , CC.

Why? Because sometimes that individual attention coming to a HS game may influence the player that he/she is really wanted, and not just another # on the field. They may only stop by for 1 game or 1 inning, but they will always speak to the player and let them know ' I came by.......'.

Sent from iPhone

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I, too, hear Candrea and other's say, that they don't care if you play HS ball or not. He sometimes wishes that they wouldn't and I can only guess why.

HS sports were very important at the HS my kids went to. Everyone else seemed to be treated like second class citizens. So, most were really interested in making a team. And when we moved to a large 4A school all of the jocks, male and female wore their letterman's jackets and the kids really liked those.

But, I coached at 2 NJCAA colleges and HS softball was not a requirement. It might help you if you want to stay locally, but beyond that, it just isn't the case. If you are athletic and carrying a high SAT, there is a college for you. You just need to find it and be willing to move across the country.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I guess things have changed since my day, or it may be a boy/girl deal. We were always encouraged to play HS ball, along with travel. The scouts that I spoke to always asked " how's school ball going / what's your ERA / what's your BA " ........" I hear you beat so n so "......... " the HS coach speaks highly of you "........." heard you lost one ".......blah blah blah.

I just can't imagine that you would be offered a scholarship ( job ) without some sort of "idea" how you function in a defined group for a length of time. ( 7-8 hours of school.........2-3 of practice.........games ) I'm talking about how you represent yourself and the lower level school ( HS ) from socially, sportsmanship, ability, mental aspects, pressure, how other people perceive you, what they say about you after 4 years.

I know when I build a TB team, I'm not only going for the best talent........but also ones that mesh together. I don't care how good a DD is I want to know some personal information and see how she conducts herself on and off the field.

Maybe I'm way off with FP TB. I just can't imagine offering someone $50,000 ( + - ) in scholarships after just watching them once or twice at exposures.

For Screwball..........yes the last sentence mentions her travel ball team.

Abbott"s college bio here in TN.

HIGH SCHOOL:

One of the most sought-after pitchers in the nation, Monica averaged more than 300 strikeouts per season as a prep star at North Salinas High School in Salinas, Calif...The fireballer led the Vikings to three Central Coast Section Division I titles...Among her hardware included the Cal-Hi Softball Athlete of the Year, the Sports Focus Athlete of the Year, the state's large school Player of the Year and the MVP trophies from her high school, conference, county and section...Not to be outdone, she was tabbed as the California High School Sports Bay Area Player of the Year and Athlete of the Year and received the Prep Female Athlete of the Year accolades from the Monterey Herald and the San Jose Mercury News...Two-time recipient of the The Salinas Californian Athlete of the Year...Had a stranglehold on the Pitcher of the Year honor for the Monterey Bay League and her team's MVP kudos four straight times...In 2002, the southpaw tossed seven perfect games, while compiling a 0.17 ERA...A standout on the hardwood who averaged 13 points per game, she led her basketball team to an undefeated record as a freshman...Monica was named all-state, all-county and all-league in both basketball and softball...Pitched extensively for the Salinas Storm club softball team and anchored the pitching staff en route to several appearances at the ASA Gold Tournaments.

Edit****

One of the TN recruitment articles said Monica had a 70 MPH fastball. I'll try to link it again so the world can see FP does have fastballs. ( even the elite )

http://thesoftballchannel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=15&Itemid=16

I can't find the TN article again but here is a few.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
All depends on what the Player’s goals are and environment they are in, DD is hoping to make the MS Team even though she is not allowed to play in any games. It’s important to her so we are working towards this goal. I am sure some of the best players will not even tryout, they have different goals which is fine and will not diminish DD’s accomplishment of making the team, if she does.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Heck, some of the top men recruits in baseball, don't even go to HS - or they look for a way to graduate early, or dad buys a house in another state so they can play at a top school.

Dec 7, 2011
If ya ask me the consistent links of HS mentions on college sites is just one "schools" establishment stroking another.

HS has a certain "pagentry" to it but nothing else too important.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I get the feeling some have never had an impact on their school, DD or parent. Athletic awards ( such as in elite bios ) are usually only given at the HS level. It's the only true measure of an individual. No cooking of the books. It's usually voted on by a group outside of the click. ( nominated by locals but won by other coaches and peers/press by voting )

My jersey still hangs in my school trophy case. My name is still on the wall in the locker room. I still hold 3rd place in seasonal ERA in the whole metro area from 1991, only to be beat by my brother in 1st from 1982. Those still mean a lot , there have been 100's if not 1000 pitchers that have tried to beat those stats over the years. ( population over a million )

Best thing is last year DD played my old school, I asked the AD to show her the trophy case. It was 10 PM after the game but he did, DD looked around like " this old guy actually did something ".

Being the best with what you are given to work with show the true measure of a person, give them the world ( a hand picked TB or college team ) show when you mess up...........there are others to pick up the pieces. ( from a pitchers view )

Nov 1, 2009
The pressure the travel ball superstars feel is not softball pressure, but social pressure. They may be better ball players than the other kids in the HS but fitting in socially is more important than standing out on the field.

I have a very confident daughter who competes with the older kids in BB and academic events without issue, but the softball thing is different. She had started every game as a frosh but still is not playing as smooth and confident as she does against the best or the best. She really is concerned about looking like a fool to the upper classman on the team.

Jul 26, 2010
Colleges will not mention TB organizations often, because to do so would be endorsing a private for profit entity. Nothing wrong with endorsing a high school.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi