Why HS ball is NOT irrelevant.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
I know more than a few people consider HS ball irrelevant, some even a "waste of time". They're so focused on travel ball and exposure and college for their DD's, they forget what else it's about.

My DD has pitched and played in 12A ASA Nationals, 14A ASA Nationals, 16U college exposure tourneys, and even an 18 Gold exposure tournament. For a 14 year old, she's seen a LOT of ball, in a lot of places, with a lot of different pressure levels. She's been nervous before, but hides it well.

But the last week was the start of HS ball for her, the first two days were tryouts. She was a nervous wreck the week before, stressed about performing well and making varsity as a frosh. She was practically babbling the Sunday night before, and I know she didn't sleep much! She was a ball of energy on Monday and Tuesday, and a wreck on Wednesday until she learned she had made the varsity squad (everyone else figured it was a sure thing, but she didn't, which is good).

So after going through this, I have to say the start of HS ball has not been irrelevant to her, I'm sure she will remember this first year the rest of her life!

My .02

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2010
Congrats on your dd making varsity as a freshman. Maybe she was so nervous because she was competing for a spot against juniors and seniors. If she didn't make it would of she played jv?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
First of all, Congrats to your DD, that is great! Yes, HS ball is important.

I think you have to be a bit more careful when you talk about people here who consider HS ball "irrelevant". I would say most if not all on here consider HS ball important for personal and social reasons for their DD, and those who are lucky enough to live in areas where the teams are really good, even more so. Many of the comments regarding HS vs travel come down to whether HS ball is worth the headaches associated with bad coaches, terrible teams, and the politics that surround all HS sports compared to TB in terms of kids that may want to have a "future" playing FP in college. HS ball is not irrelevant, but in some communities the rewards may not outweigh the BS, whereas in TB you can usually find a team that fits your DD's needs in the sport.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
For most HS is the first real tryout. Let's face it, after 10U you usually are asked to play on multiple TB teams if you are any good. Most freshman ( and the parents ) get a bit nervous because they have no control over the outcome. DD and I were, and now it's over I have no idea why we were nervous. LOL

Irrelevant? I guess it depends on the individual and the program. Lots on here absolutely hate HS ball. Probably for reasons they can't control ( DD may not play varsity / her TB position / pitching time / etc ) Next, the program may suck!!! DD may be a good player, but one person can't do it all. ( especially during playoffs ) Or they are a good team with no good/rival teams to play during the season. ( which can be very boring )

I love our HS ball. Kick a$$ team with some kick a$$ rivals during the season and playoffs. Some have gotten pretty nasty ( verbally ) leading up to, during, and after games. ( players and parents ) It's a big deal around here like HS football is in Texas.

Best thing about HS ball is the road to state championships. You gotta play every game like it's your last.............cause it might be.

Keep us posted during the season. Last week we went 4-0 and tied the runner up state champion 0 to 0 in a HS preseason tourney. We out scored the comp 21 to zero, didn't give a run up all day. We got a pitching rotation that will blow your mind, they are so opposite you can't get a feel for them.

Got another preseason tomorrow. We play the 2011 state champions tomorrow, looking forward to that one.

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think anyone has implied that HS ball is "irrelevant". Certainly there are social pressures that come into play, much as your daughter experienced. HS sports can be wonderful experiences that we remember for the rest of our lives, and it is a chance to be part of something that matters and a chance to learn to be part of the team we are assigned, rather then part of the team that we choose. . . wheras travel ball has little room for that sort of thing.

Where I have noticed "irrelevant" in regards to HS ball, is where college ball is concerned. For the sake of most college recruiters, HS ball is not something they look at. In the words of Mike Candrea and several other D1 coaches, "There just isn't enough competition in HS ball, where as the good travel teams are able to put together a quality program from top to bottom and go out in search of competition that is going to challenge their program. Moreover, because the HS and college season overlaps, you just aren't going to see us go to see a high school game in the hopes to see one player worth recruiting. We're just too busy that time of year".

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi