Who knows the call signs between pitcher and catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
If you left fielder moves over every time you are going to throw a changeup the good teams will take notice.

I would hope OF would be moving based on more than one pitch and also would be repositioning on how batter is fouling off pitches. We’re not talking about a full on shift here but just more aware of where the hit is more likely to go based on pitch selection.

Apr 26, 2022
Sounds great. I'd love to read it when you're done. My daughter's team might too (depending on reading level and such).
Thank you so much! How old is your daughter? This book is going into the Ava and Carol Detective Agency series. The softball story is going into the Detective Handbook and will discuss sleuthing techniques to solve the mystery. If your daughter would like (since I need a whole roster of players) I can use her name as one of the characters in the book. Thank you so much for your help!

In kindness
Thomas Lockhaven

Apr 26, 2022
Who are they tipping pitches off to? The batter isn’t going to see them give behind the back signs.
When the catcher gives the signal to the pitcher, that information will be relayed to the batter somehow. Perhaps a person in the stands, through a banner or poster, or a receiver in the helmet. I'm working on that right now. This is a kids detective book, so I need to come up with creative ideas for the calls to be relayed to the batter. Great question!

Oct 4, 2018
Thank you so much! How old is your daughter? This book is going into the Ava and Carol Detective Agency series. The softball story is going into the Detective Handbook and will discuss sleuthing techniques to solve the mystery. If your daughter would like (since I need a whole roster of players) I can use her name as one of the characters in the book. Thank you so much for your help!

In kindness
Thomas Lockhaven

That would be amazingly awesome, if 12 years old is in the ballpark. If it's for younger girls, I'd give the honor to a member here with a younger daughter.

Lily Campbell is her name (changed slightly to protect her from internet stalkers, but she'll know).

Oct 4, 2018
When the catcher gives the signal to the pitcher, that information will be relayed to the batter somehow. Perhaps a person in the stands, through a banner or poster, or a receiver in the helmet. I'm working on that right now. This is a kids detective book, so I need to come up with creative ideas for the calls to be relayed to the batter. Great question!

Up higher I mentioned the way a coach did it when I was a kid. That kind of thing might work for you.

Apr 26, 2022
That would be amazingly awesome, if 12 years old is in the ballpark. If it's for younger girls, I'd give the honor to a member here with a younger daughter.

Lily Campbell is her name (changed slightly to protect her from internet stalkers, but she'll know).
The Ava and Carol Series is for 10-14 year olds, but I have readers from 7 to 80 reading the books. So far we have a readership of about 20,000 kids. I'll make sure that I add Lily as one of the players! I'll let you know when the book is available! Thank you so much for your help.

Jan 25, 2022
True. I'm just trying to do due diligence and make sure I follow proper protocol. It may be a fictional book, but I like to try to stay as close to the proper mechanics of the game as possible :)
I write a lot of short stories, and this is precisely why I write things that either need no research, or I can just flat-out create my own world, so to speak. I'm just too lazy and/or pressed for time to do research on what I'm writing about. :)

Apr 26, 2022
I write a lot of short stories, and this is precisely why I write things that either need no research, or I can just flat-out create my own world, so to speak. I'm just too lazy and/or pressed for time to do research on what I'm writing about. :)
The series that I'm writing has about 20,000 readers, so I have to do my research :) I average about 40-60 hours of research per book, it comes with the territory. For my cozy mysteries, I actually travel to the location that I'm writing about. When I'm writing pure fiction, I give myself a much greater artistic license. People are very quick to leave negative feedback if your books aren't well researched, so I make sure I go the extra mile. That's why I joined this forum, I wanted to make sure that I asked a lot of questions and understood what I was writing about.

In kindness
Thomas

Jan 25, 2022
The series that I'm writing has about 20,000 readers, so I have to do my research :) I average about 40-60 hours of research per book, it comes with the territory. For my cozy mysteries, I actually travel to the location that I'm writing about. When I'm writing pure fiction, I give myself a much greater artistic license. People are very quick to leave negative feedback if your books aren't well researched, so I make sure I go the extra mile. That's why I joined this forum, I wanted to make sure that I asked a lot of questions and understood what I was writing about.

In kindness
Thomas
Awesome. I'd like to have my daughter read it as well. She's 14. I would petition you to add her name to the book as well, but you already have. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi