Who knows the call signs between pitcher and catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2022
Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance for your help and for helping a novice with a few questions. Complete transparency, I am an author and I am currently writing a mystery novel for kids with a high stakes softball game as the backdrop. I want to make sure that what I write is correct.

I need to know a little more about signal theft between the pitcher and the catcher. I'm curious as to how many of the players are privy to, or know all of the signs that are sent between the pitcher and the catcher. Does the entire team know all of the calls? Or is it just the team members that would be playing those positions? What is the penalty if another team is caught cheating?

Thank you so much!

In kindness
Thomas Lockhaven

May 17, 2012
Typically it's just the pitcher, catcher, and coach that are involved in calling pitches. Defensive players may have their own signs for bunt coverages and stolen bases for example that is separate from pitch calling.

A lot of teams use wristbands to communicate pitches and or defense.

There is no penalty for "stealing" signs during the game if it's done organically.

Apr 26, 2022
Typically it's just the pitcher, catcher, and coach that are involved in calling pitches. Defensive players may have their own signs for bunt coverages and stolen bases for example that is separate from pitch calling.

A lot of teams use wristbands to communicate pitches and or defense.

There is no penalty for "stealing" signs during the game if it's done organically.
Thank you so much. Yes, I've been researching the wristbands and the new digital system used by the Major Leagues, pretty interesting! So, just to clarify, the pitcher, catcher and coach are generally the only ones that know all of the signs (or perhaps have memorized them).

What would be considered an offense that would disqualify another team, or result in a loss for the other team?

Thank you so much for your help!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm? Who knows the signs...
The parents, players and Coach who left one team and is now with the other team?!

May 1, 2018
Now a days, a number is shown (321) to the catcher, the catcher relays that number to the pitcher. They both look at their wrist coach see what pitch it is...... their are 10-15 numbers for the same pitch if not more. So stealing signs are hard unless numbers are repeated and someone is paying very close attention.
For actually stealing signs, there are codes, Outs Plus 1, chase the 1, Inning plus 1, ect. So unless you see a lot of pitches you won't figure it out.

May 17, 2012
Thank you so much. Yes, I've been researching the wristbands and the new digital system used by the Major Leagues, pretty interesting! So, just to clarify, the pitcher, catcher and coach are generally the only ones that know all of the signs (or perhaps have memorized them).

What would be considered an offense that would disqualify another team, or result in a loss for the other team?

Thank you so much for your help!

The signs could be numbers shouted by the coach that correspond to numbers on the wristbands. Those numbers could change from game to game (as an opponent could scout a game and derive that 244 is a changeup for example).

As for disqualification, I don't think sign stealing is going to rise to that level of punishment in any scenario. A more likely disqualification would be using a player that is not on your roster (the player is rostered with another team or is too old age-wise). In other words, you have illegal players on your roster as you are trying to load up to win a tournament.

Jun 11, 2013
Signs used to be pretty simple the number of fingers was the pitch. Often 1 a fastball, 2 a curve 3 a changeup. If the C was good only the P and maybe the SS,2B might see them. They also might change if someone is on 2nd.

the next level up was that a catcher might give 3 or 4 signs and only one was real. Maybe the 2nd number put down was the pitch. You could change that from time to time.

Now with wristbands it's much harder for anyone to steal the signs as you can change out the cards whenever you like. In general outside of the coach and P and C the rest of the team doesn't know the signs, but I've seen some high level teams have the infield know the signs. It can help a little bit on where they think a hit might go in theory.

Now there are also signs that the coach gives the catcher. If they don't use wristbands they'll often flash a series of numbers to the Catcher. This is usually both pitch type and location. If they flash 4 numbers often 2 mean something. Like the first number is the location, the 3rd is the pitch type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi