Who knows the call signs between pitcher and catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2022
Now a days, a number is shown (321) to the catcher, the catcher relays that number to the pitcher. They both look at their wrist coach see what pitch it is...... their are 10-15 numbers for the same pitch if not more. So stealing signs are hard unless numbers are repeated and someone is paying very close attention.
For actually stealing signs, there are codes, Outs Plus 1, chase the 1, Inning plus 1, ect. So unless you see a lot of pitches you won't figure it out.
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, this is very helpful!!

Apr 26, 2022
Signs used to be pretty simple the number of fingers was the pitch. Often 1 a fastball, 2 a curve 3 a changeup. If the C was good only the P and maybe the SS,2B might see them. They also might change if someone is on 2nd.

the next level up was that a catcher might give 3 or 4 signs and only one was real. Maybe the 2nd number put down was the pitch. You could change that from time to time.

Now with wristbands it's much harder for anyone to steal the signs as you can change out the cards whenever you like. In general outside of the coach and P and C the rest of the team doesn't know the signs, but I've seen some high level teams have the infield know the signs. It can help a little bit on where they think a hit might go in theory.

Now there are also signs that the coach gives the catcher. If they don't use wristbands they'll often flash a series of numbers to the Catcher. This is usually both pitch type and location. If they flash 4 numbers often 2 mean something. Like the first number is the location, the 3rd is the pitch type.
Thank you! This was like a collegiate course in signing. I truly appreciate the detailed explanation. Exceptionally helpful!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018
Signs used to be pretty simple the number of fingers was the pitch. Often 1 a fastball, 2 a curve 3 a changeup. If the C was good only the P and maybe the SS,2B might see them. They also might change if someone is on 2nd.

the next level up was that a catcher might give 3 or 4 signs and only one was real. Maybe the 2nd number put down was the pitch. You could change that from time to time.

Now with wristbands it's much harder for anyone to steal the signs as you can change out the cards whenever you like. In general outside of the coach and P and C the rest of the team doesn't know the signs, but I've seen some high level teams have the infield know the signs. It can help a little bit on where they think a hit might go in theory.

Now there are also signs that the coach gives the catcher. If they don't use wristbands they'll often flash a series of numbers to the Catcher. This is usually both pitch type and location. If they flash 4 numbers often 2 mean something. Like the first number is the location, the 3rd is the pitch type.

Yes.

A lot of teams have every player wear a wristband with the same info on it. On our team (a good team), coach calls three numbers. He usually calls it twice (to make sure everyone hears). Something like "4-1-3... 4-1-3".

And then you'll see the pitcher, catcher and entire infield look at their wristband. It's quite helpful for the 3B to know a change up is called, as that's quite likely to be pulled down the line. And it keeps the girls engaged. Usually at least one of the infielders is also a pitcher, and that person (if they love softball) is interested in pitch-calling strategy. My DD is a P/1B and loves following along with the pitch calling when she's at 1B.

The age group and level of play might help us help you identify the most likely scenario for your book. 18U girls probably do it differently than 10U ones.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
True. I'm just trying to do due diligence and make sure I follow proper protocol. It may be a fictional book, but I like to try to stay as close to the proper mechanics of the game as possible :)
Simply there is no standard that everybody follows.
Some teams will have say three different cards of number sequences for pitch calling and they may Shuffle those three cards from game to game or they may not.

Good Examples have been offered.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Is there a penalty for stealing signs? Nothing in the rule books for doing at the field level. In MLB, several teams had used electronic devices to steal signs as far back as the "Shot Heard Round The World" when Bobby Thompson knew what pitch Ralph Branca was about to throw. The Houston Astros recently stole the WS in 2017 by using a technician to steal the pitch signs and relay them to the dugout via banging on a garbage can.

In the old days of baseball, getting caught stealing signs resulted in a batter on your team getting drilled by a pitch. That tended to put a stop to that practice real fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi