What's the difference between college recruiting coaches and scouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2014
What's the difference between college recruiting coaches and scouts?

I'm asking because I think that our friends may have been approached by a scout who wants their money and not a coach. But I could be wrong and therefore seek your expertise. We recently returned from Portland from the Valley Invitational. As you know, the place is crawling with recruiting coaches. You can spot them a mile away with their white binders. My daughter's best friend, Layla, a very tall pitcher who plays on a different team, and her lovely parents were approached by an individual claiming to be a coach and scout. He told them that their daughter is a definite D1 pitcher and that he can help her. He's since emailed our friends again, restating that she's a D1 pitcher and that he has connections with several big universities in California and will gladly share them with our friends. I would hate to see our wonderful friends get "hosed" by someone who's simply after their money.

I have heard of recruiting companies who promise you the moon but deliver nothing for $5K. I have also read of ones who have placed talented kids at the school of their dreams.

I am also under the impression that there are strict NCAA recruiting rules stating that coaches are not allowed to approach parents or players at tournaments - which leads me to think that this guy is a scout and not a coach. I also thought that I'd seen rules prohibiting email contact other than general information. I want to caution our good friends about this but fear that they think that I'm suffering from a case of sour grapes. Which is not the case as both these girls want very different things in their college experience.

Our daughters, both 15, are very different, both athletically and academically. Their daughter's tall - 5'10" tall, our daughter is 5'3" tall. Their daughter is purely a fastball pitcher (clocked at 60mph in the showcase) whereas our daughter throws primarily junk (and clocked at 56 mph). Their family is looking for their daughter to play D1 and major in Art. Our daughter is looking to play D3 and major in Engineering. They are 2 very different girls.

My question is, what is the difference between a coach and a scout? I know that coaches coach and scouts scout. But outside of that, what is the difference? Can scouts really get kids into the school of their dreams? or are they primarily offering a service in exchange for money? Can a scout work for you for free? I'd hate to see this lovely family get taken in.

Help? Thank you!!!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The guy is not a college coach. He might coach a summer team. He might be able to do what he says. He might simply be a scam artist. I can't comment on that guy.

All I can tell you is this:

If you want your child to play in college, you and your DD have to do the work and put in the time. The work starts with the book, "PREPARING TO PLAY SOFTBALL AT THE COLLEGIATE LEVEL" by Cathi Aradi. I've met and talked with Cathi. She does put the needs of the kids first.

After a parent reads the book, the parents need to understand the simple truth: There is no "pot of gold" at the end of the softball rainbow. Playing any D1 sport is a series of tradeoffs.

If you want to help your friend, get Cathi's book and give it to her.

"http://www.fastpitchrecruiting.com/book.html

Jul 4, 2014
If you want your child to play in college, you and your DD have to do the work and put in the time. The work starts with the book, "PREPARING TO PLAY SOFTBALL AT THE COLLEGIATE LEVEL" by Cathi Aradi. I've met and talked with Cathi. She does put the needs of the kids first.

After a parent reads the book, the parents need to understand the simple truth: There is no "pot of gold" at the end of the softball rainbow. Playing any D1 sport is a series of tradeoffs.

If you want to help your friend, get Cathi's book and give it to her.

"http://www.fastpitchrecruiting.com/book.html

Thanks Sluggers. I've spoken with Cathi myself. She's awesome! Yes, she puts the girls first. Actually, I have the book and will share it with them. Thanks for the idea. I didn't think of it.

Mar 11, 2009
It should be simple enough to look up the person in question in a Google search and see what their softball background is and bow they help kids.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
These "scouts" sound like scam artists. Your DD's head coaches should be helping them with the recruiting process. Between them and you that should be all they need (unless you need someone's help with an online profile). A good video is worth spending a few bucks on.
If the current coaches don't know how to help with recruiting get with ones who do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi