Who is in Favor of....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
IMO the softball season starts in the fall. So if your team ages out on Jan 1st and you have to move up to the next age bracket. IMO you are doing the kids a disservice by hanging around in the fall and playing and playing younger teams! I deffinately don't look at it as "playing up" for the teams that are actually going to be playing spring season in that age class. But I do look at it as playing down if your team ages out Jan 1st.

42's Dad,
I agree with you that it does a disservice to the players not going up in the fall. And it is "going up" because they are true to the calendar year. I also think that all 9th graders should play 16u or gold. But then again that is my opinion, I have a lot, but I don't make the rules. I only have say over my DD. It will drive you crazy worrying about what other teams do. Good luck in finding coaches who have a similar ideology (not sarcastically said). When you find it do everything in your power to keep it.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
42's Dad,
I agree with you that it does a disservice to the players not going up in the fall. And it is "going up" because they are true to the calendar year. I also think that all 9th graders should play 16u or gold. But then again that is my opinion, I have a lot, but I don't make the rules. I only have say over my DD. It will drive you crazy worrying about what other teams do. Good luck in finding coaches who have a similar ideology (not sarcastically said). When you find it do everything in your power to keep it.

What do you do with the 9th graders who aren't good enough to make a 16u team or a gold team?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My DD had a player on her MS Team that was a lot smaller than her, DD has always been the smallest person on her Teams. I was surprised when her mother said she was a year older then DD. She is OK but not great, I think her size causes a perception issue and I know the feeling and sympathize with them.

I would guess she is does not make the 8th grade team next year but I am willing to bet money she is on a Team somewhere. I was trying to get her on DD’s Team in the Spring but it has not worked out yet.

Right now I think DD can play through 9th grade then her school softball career is done. Two more years then the other player that loves playing too. I think they will see each other in league play, enjoying the game.

Edited: We both enjoy not needing to buy new equipment and are hoping for that mythical growth spurt that we think is an urban legend

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD had a player on her MS Team that was a lot smaller than her, DD has always been the smallest person on her Teams. I was surprised when her mother said she was a year older then DD. She is OK but not great, I think her size causes a perception issue and I know the feeling and sympathize with them.

I would guess she is does not make the 8th grade team next year but I am willing to bet money she is on a Team somewhere. I was trying to get her on DD’s Team in the Spring but it has not worked out yet.

Right now I think DD can play through 9th grade then her school softball career is done. Two more years then the other player that loves playing too. I think they will see each other in league play, enjoying the game.

Why do you think your dds school career will end in 2 years?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Right now DD will go to a huge HS, there are a lot of players out there that take the game a lot more seriously than she does.

We will see how it works out.

Jan 20, 2010
IMO the softball season starts in the fall. So if your team ages out on Jan 1st and you have to move up to the next age bracket. IMO you are doing the kids a disservice by hanging around in the fall and playing and playing younger teams! I deffinately don't look at it as "playing up" for the teams that are actually going to be playing spring season in that age class. But I do look at it as playing down if your team ages out Jan 1st.

I always wondered why they didn't just make the age date September 1st since it would synch well with School levels (since most schools have a Sept 1 cutoff date now) and the change of the softball seasons.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
What do you do with the 9th graders who aren't good enough to make a 16u team or a gold team?

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about the freshman. I was thinking of the 8th graders who have to sit out the spring season because the freshman are playing high school ball and there are not enough to field a team. Or lose their starting position when the older girls come out.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
No & No.

Calendar year dates make it simple...Age on 1/1 is the age for the year...simple.

14U is the only difficult year as teams can mix MS & HS freshman. Here most organizations have two 14U teams - 1st year MS players who can play from April 1 to the end of the season & 2nd year 14U - the high school girls who begin play around Memorial Day.

Apr 1, 2010
Right now DD will go to a huge HS, there are a lot of players out there that take the game a lot more seriously than she does.

We will see how it works out.

You never know. She might come a long way in the next couple of years and surprise you!

On the other hand, DD and I went to watch a game at her future high school and she was telling me she could outplay their current varsity catcher. I'm not entirely sure, but it's nice that she's got confidence. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles