Who do you have cover 3b in this situation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Had some interesting discussion with one of my assistant coaches lately on who should cover third base with runner on 1B, less than 2 outs, and a bunt is laid down.

What do you teach on your team?

a) 3b fields bunt then hustles back to third?
b) you've already conceded 2nd to the runner on 1B so have the SS cover third?
c) bring in the Left fielder to cover third, have SS hold the runner on 2B?
d) something else entirely?

Assume young (10 - 12u) but elite travel players.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
F2 covers 3B (momentum is already going that way) when F5 fields the bunt.
If anyone else fields bunt, F5 goes back to cover.

Sep 21, 2011
I prefer to have F2 stay home any time there are runners on base. If F2 goes to cover 3B, someone else has to cover home and then you could potentially have two players out of their natural positions instead of just one. F1 can probably change directions and cover 3B just as effectively as F2 can get there in catcher's gear.

Jul 28, 2008
If the bunt is laid down third pitcher covers 3B

If the ball is not bunted right back to pitcher, she covers 3rd base. If it is, the 3rd baseman should be covering. The left fielder should also be sprinting in to either back up 3rd, or cover if necessary.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
In baseball, the catcher covers third if the third-baseman fields the bunt with a runner on first. His initial momentum towards the bunt naturally takes him that way. This would make sense to me in softball as well.

Jul 28, 2008
Covering third is not a priority if you make the initial play(s)--unless something else goes awry.

Then your sac bunt to move the runner to 2nd will easily end up moving the runner to 3rd. As a matter of fact, many teams will have the runner not even slow down while they round 2nd and head to 3rd. You had better put someone over on 3rd base to cover. At the younger ages, pitchers play other positions when they are not pitching. I would have no problem with a pitcher covering. After she delivers the pitch, she becomes a fielder and she had better get her butt out of the circle if she's needed to field the ball somewhere.

Oct 19, 2009
Then your sac bunt to move the runner to 2nd will easily end up moving the runner to 3rd. As a matter of fact, many teams will have the runner not even slow down while they round 2nd and head to 3rd. You had better put someone over on 3rd base to cover. At the younger ages, pitchers play other positions when they are not pitching. I would have no problem with a pitcher covering. After she delivers the pitch, she becomes a fielder and she had better get her butt out of the circle if she's needed to field the ball somewhere.

This is exactly what we are working to defend. The suggestion was that we have the Left Fielder cover third since the pitcher and 3b are already moving forward to cover the bunt. I was not comfortable having no back up and now also risking giving up a run on the play.

We're going to experiment with this at our next practice. I coach 10 and 12u teams and as you say, we have 3-4 pitchers per team that do also play other positions.

I like the idea of teaching pitcher and 3b covering depending on which other player fields the bunt.

May 23, 2008
I really don't think it matters who covers the bag, just that someone gets there and it looks planned. We practice and have the left fielder cover. With a runner on first, once the ball is down, she is on a sprint to the bag, and is at the bag or really close to the bag by the time the runner is at 2nd. Only once did someone try for third last year.
As long as someone is at the bag ready for a throw, most coaches are going to hold the runner at 2nd.
Whatever you decide to do, practice it, make it routine, and the runner will not advance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32