Which rule do you have the biggest problem understanding?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Most softball rules are very straight forward, if you do this you get this result. Some are so clear. The rule I have the most problem with is rules concerning the DP and substitution, re-entry and playing in the field. Anytime I have to use a DP I have my nose in the rule book or a case book the night before. What rule do any of you have a problem understanding?

Jul 26, 2010
One I see the most arguments is the "must make a reasonable effort to avoid" when running home. I see this often interpreted as "must slide" and girls get called out jumping over the catcher, ect. When you tell them to avoid the catcher, sliding straight into them isn't what they might consider "avoid", but it is often the best way to avoid getting called out. Then again, maybe like you say, I'm just having a big problem understanding the rule ;)

-W

Jan 15, 2009
My head hurts when trying to understand BOO (batting out of order) rulings and the repercussions dependent on when it's discovered. I do my best to never violate it so I don't have to know it.

What drives me crazy on BOO is that it doesn't matter what number is in the book as long as the "name" is right! Now how I am supposed to know that this is really Mary instead of Katie is beyond me when I'm playing a team that resides 5+ hours away from me! AND, the TD says that it will be a $100 fee if you want to check the birth certificate to verify it is actually the right player. I've had umpires tell me that "we can't penalize the player for something that the coach did." Well, most every other sport does! Maybe the coach would learn to check his/her numbers!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I coached identical twins one time. The coach from the other team came charging out of the dugout saying we batted them out of order, and then we had both of them come to home plate. It was a hoot.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
I find the pitching rules terribly confusing.

I thought I understood the stuff about leaping and crow hopping and stuff. I see pitchers all the time that seem to be illegal on every pitch, yet the only illegal pitch I've seen called was on my pitcher when the other teams 3rd base coach started screaming, flailing and jumping around just as she started her motion. Scared her so bad she almost pee'd herself and stepped back off the rubber.

I give up.

May 10, 2010
Mine is runner interference on a fielder attempting to make a play and does not have a play to make and batter runner turning in at 1st base with no attempt to advance and is tagged out after being called safe.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I coached identical twins one time. The coach from the other team came charging out of the dugout saying we batted them out of order, and then we had both of them come to home plate. It was a hoot.

I had twins in rec once and was relieved when games started as I
could only tell them apart by uniform #.

Worst rule: We played in a USSSA tourney w/ cement dugouts in 100 degree temps.
It was like being in a dry sauna and blue would not allow coaches to be outside the dugout.
We were being baked alive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd