When to start recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Looking for some input from you fine folks that have walked this path before me. At what age/grade should dd begin contacting schools and coaches. I know there are rules for d1 teams as to when they can technically begin contacting a player I'm learning the rules for other divisions currently. My dd is in 8th grade currently so won't be in high school until next season as our state assoc won't allow middle school to play up. Been told by some to start now the contact emails but looking for some input. Been to couple camps and do have some interest early from small d1 schools but can't really communicate with them outside of camps. Looking for input

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would start the process when your DD gets to HS. If your DD is a STUD she may be recruited in the 9th grade, but most D1 recruiting occurs the summer between the sophomore and junior year. For D2 and D3 it is between the junior and senior year.

Sep 28, 2015
I would continue going to camps (that are reasonable) just to start building up your network and getting your dd's name out there. I really didn't start with my dd until she was in 10th grade and we felt we were at least a year late starting. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
One of our local HS coaches knows Hutch on a personal friend level. She's expressed to our coach that she's having to go look at 14U's and 12U's because by 16 they're committed already. I don't know if she was exaggerating for effect or expressing a real concern, but it seems to me that the earlier you make contact the better?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If you look at Gold Fastpitch, you will see that most programs in the Top 5 conferences have their 2019 commits in place. They are onto 2020's. That said, smaller D1s will have spots open for 2018's and maybe even 2017's. More so with D2's.

Jun 2, 2015
If your daughter is in 8th grade, there can be unlimited contact between her and a school. The rules for recruiting do not apply until she starts high school.

Nov 27, 2012
Lot of colleges are offering pre season skills or showcase camps. They cost anywhere from 75-150$ for 3 hrs. Go to them and put your daughters name out there and start emailing the coach.

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
IMO it is never too early (within Reason) We started when she was a true 12U. My 8th grade DD has been to many camps on invite, been pulled aside and talked to at showcase events, and has been on her first "unofficial" visit. It is honestly nerve wracking as a parent. Thankfully, she takes it in stride, and feels no pressure. She is enjoying the ride so far.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
thanks for the input. You get some that say its too early, but for the most part the folks that seem to know - ie coaches - say in todays age its time to start. Thanks for the imput

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA