Home to Home Baserunning times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
That said,like I said before, just go watch a game. Sometimes I think all these metrics are just to make a camp look fancy..

Like grip strength. I look at some of these metrics from ODM. Many of these metrics make perfect sense, such as exit velo, running speed/times, overhand throwing velo. Then you have grip strength, I have a difficult time understanding how grip strength measure a person overall strength. My best guess is that grip strength is a lot easier/convenient to get data from than measuring how much a person can deadlift, or squat.

Jun 8, 2016
Like grip strength. I look at some of these metrics from ODM. Many of these metrics make perfect sense, such as exit velo, running speed/times, overhand throwing velo.
Sure those things make more sense but everyone has game video nowadays. Not sure why a coach would put much stake in OH throwing velocity when they can watch a kid make a throw from the 5-6 hole in a game from their office chair (btw I wonder what Sis Bates OH throwing velocity is..)

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Sure those things make more sense but everyone has game video nowadays. Not sure why a coach would put much stake in OH throwing velocity when they can watch a kid make a throw from the 5-6 hole in a game from their office chair (btw I wonder what Sis Bates OH throwing velocity is..)

I would guess that Sis Bates overhand velocity is pretty average or even below average for an elite level former D1 players. What Sis Bates does so well is in how quickly she can get rid of the ball when she needs to. Sis Bates gets rid of the ball as good as any female infielder I have ever seen. Her transfer skills, foot work, and throwing from different arm slots are A++ Elite Level.

I would say the transfer time makes more of a difference than overhand velocity as far as infield play goes. Even more in softball with 60 foot bases.

Jun 8, 2016
I would guess that Sis Bates overhand velocity is pretty average or even below average for an elite level former D1 players. What Sis Bates does so well is in how quickly she can get rid of the ball when she needs to. Sis Bates gets rid of the ball as good as any female infielder I have ever seen. Her transfer skills, foot work, and throwing from different arm slots are A++ Elite Level.

I would say the transfer time makes more of a difference than overhand velocity as far as infield play goes. Even more in softball with 60 foot bases.
Agree on all accounts…that’s why I mentioned her 😉

Apr 14, 2022
Like grip strength. I look at some of these metrics from ODM. Many of these metrics make perfect sense, such as exit velo, running speed/times, overhand throwing velo. Then you have grip strength, I have a difficult time understanding how grip strength measure a person overall strength. My best guess is that grip strength is a lot easier/convenient to get data from than measuring how much a person can deadlift, or squat.
Watched a documentary on Willie Mays were at the end the the crew took turns shaking his hand. He still crushed them at 80.

The 2 metrics that make a great ball player is strength and hand eye coordination.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter ran a 13.45 H-H. She is a pitcher with a ton of power, but she also runs like she has a piano on her back. However, she's a smart base runner who knows her limits and when she can and cannot take the extra base. Being fast doesn't mean you're a good base runner. Being slow doesn't mean you're a bad base runner. One of the best base runners I ever saw was Don Mattingly. He was, by nobody's definition, fast, but he rarely got thrown out.

Grip strength is a CSE head scratcher. Hers was 110.8 RH, and 86.5 in her left. The examiner said he'd never seen such a strong grip on any of the Rapsodo events he'd done for female athletes. I think it actually hurts her pitching as she sometimes tries to squeeze the ball to death.

May 17, 2023
I think we actually kind of agree here. You're talking about a HS track star, someone who may not be representing Team USA but who is definitely faster than most other softball players. Let's say she's 12 seconds around the bases.

Wouldn't you agree that everyone talking about sub-12 speeds are likely incorrect for most softball players?

Btw, if you have video of that homer, you can get an exact time.

Sub 12.0 speeds are certainly common for fast players in a combine like setting. But if you are talking sub 12 seconds contact to home in a live game, that is very elite speed.

Even though that may be the more realistic time, it just isn't as easy to record and compare because of the variables. So that's why most talk about home to home speed in terms of a combine setting. In that case more like 11.0 is Elite I think, but guessing someone has more scientific estimate of that.

May 13, 2023
Timing players in straight sprints is also collected. Takes out the different variables in the Box.
🤷‍♀️ Perhaps because speed is speed is speed and can be used in other areas than just running bases.

Then there is the separate timing for agility. Things like 'the shuttle'. Back and forth in a designated pattern.
Screenshot_20230811-061600_Chrome.jpg

May 28, 2019
Makes no sense to start timing at first movement. Start at contact because contact is when the play begins. Contact is the moment the defense can begin the process of getting the runner out.

Again, you want functional speed, not a straight line track & field sprint speed. That doesn't have anything to do with how fast someone is in a softball game.
I'm not disagreeing with your theory of speed and importance of game speed. Where i'm coming from in my thought process is the best mechanisms to time speed of group settings to get some type of semblance of their running abilities in a heirarchy and then a coach can go from there with that uniform data and then study individually their game speed and game base running skills and comforts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles