Home to Home Baserunning times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2019
Looking for input as to home to home base running times.
How would you start categorizing home to home times for high school and looking ahead to D1 level times? From elite to average. I have seen one or two things put together online but not sure how much stock to put into one resource.

Jun 8, 2016
How would you start categorizing home to home times for high school and looking ahead to D1 level times? From elite to average. I have seen one or two things put together online but not sure how much stock to put into one resource.
Something near or under 11 is good I think.

May 13, 2023
That's a big spread.
Can you post the resource you are looking at for reference?

May 28, 2019
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0149/2160/008off_BaserunningTimes_1_.pdf

My thoughts are these are exceptional times but i guess the sheet details times for already exceptional level talent. Trying to translate the above also to younger highschool aged kids and try to set goals forward for her. She's already a unique blend of strength, power, size, and speed. Her times i think are already 11.4-11.7 range. She just did a camp and of her group of 16-18 highschool aged girls, only 2 ran sub 12.

Jun 8, 2016
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0149/2160/008off_BaserunningTimes_1_.pdf

My thoughts are these are exceptional times but i guess the sheet details times for already exceptional level talent. Trying to translate the above also to younger highschool aged kids and try to set goals forward for her. She's already a unique blend of strength, power, size, and speed. Her times i think are already 11.4-11.7 range. She just did a camp and of her group of 16-18 highschool aged girls, only 2 ran sub 12.
How they are timed might matter too maybe. My rising 8th grader ran 11.4 at her org workout in CO and that was top 8 in the org but the fastest kid was sub 11. I think they were hand-timed.

On a related note, and it is relevant to my kid because she cannot actually run the bases, I have seen coaches state that they put more stake in home to first as it measure pure speed. Maybe they figure they can teach a kid how to round the bases correctly (good luck with my kid on that..)

May 13, 2023
Could not view that link.

From what you are writing basic response is
~ would not use high school as a measuring tool for competitive softball/ running times.

Not surprised only two ran sub 12.

11.4 is a good time!

Considering slower Runners out of the box are 3.7, 4.0, 4.5 to first base
And generally get slower continuing around the bases 14+ seconds would be a less competitive time.

Considering faster runners are 3.0, 2.7, 2.5 out of the box to first base and more athletic Runners can be even faster in the longer run around the bases.
Under 12.0 and 11.0 exhibit the more athletic players.
But not all of D1 players are the fastest. There are a lot of those that are just the best hitters and are not near 3.0 to first base.

May 28, 2019
Google home to home base running times softball, it’s generally one of the first links, goes to a weird pdf doc

Jun 8, 2016
absolutely, some say first step hitting the ground. some say movement out the box. probably several tenths of a difference at least in difference.
That's why coaches watch games..If a kid has game-changing speed it usually isn't too hard to see and it won't take long to see it..(a routine ground ball will be enough). Everybody else better be able to hit :LOL:

May 28, 2019
my kid will never have the "game changing" speed but she comes with all tools. you probably wouldn't always think she runs as well as she does which is why i think it is important for coaches to see on paper what they also see on the field.

Hasn't turned 14 yet. Hitting upwards of 72 exit velo off tee. 61 mph overhand velo. Better top speed than home to first speed but still very good. Think she's 2.8-2.9ish home to first. Been doing a bunch of camps lately. Just want her to continue getting comfortable and perform best in these environments cause you have such few opportunities to perform at your best at these camps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles