Home to Home Baserunning times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Been doing a bunch of camps lately. Just want her to continue getting comfortable and perform best in these environments cause you have such few opportunities to perform at your best at these camps.
Doing a camp or two before they matter is a good idea..I just don't have the cash to do more than a camp or two...lol. If she chokes because she didn't do enough then that is on her..I gotta eat :LOL:

May 17, 2023
Looking for input as to home to home base running times.
How would you start categorizing home to home times for high school and looking ahead to D1 level times? From elite to average. I have seen one or two things put together online but not sure how much stock to put into one resource.

First year 12u I had three girls run low 11s. I thought that was pretty good. None could really hit, so we bunted a ton and they stole a million bases that Summer.

Fast forward a year and those three are running JH track. All three set times in events that would have been on the podium at HS state for their classes. I knew they were fast, but didn't realize how fast.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A lot of these times are crazy low compared to some of the fastest softball players who play at the highest level (As they always are).

I guess if you time them on first move from a sprint, that would help. Ideally you would start at contact since that's actually showing a useful number.

In this clip of Aliyah Andrews' inside-the-park home run, she goes from contact to foot touching the plate in 11.3 seconds. Spoiler: Most softball players are not as fast as/faster than Aliyah Andrews.

Jun 8, 2016
A lot of these times are crazy low compared to some of the fastest softball players who play at the highest level (As they always are).

I guess if you time them on first move from a sprint, that would help. Ideally you would start at contact since that's actually showing a useful number.

In this clip of Aliyah Andrews' inside-the-park home run, she goes from contact to foot touching the plate in 11.3 seconds. Spoiler: Most softball players are not as fast as/faster than Aliyah Andrews.

True but Andrews had to pick up the ball, her coach etc which probably slows you down a bit too.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Could not view that link.

From what you are writing basic response is
~ would not use high school as a measuring tool for competitive softball/ running times.

Not surprised only two ran sub 12.

11.4 is a good time!

Considering slower Runners out of the box are 3.7, 4.0, 4.5 to first base
And generally get slower continuing around the bases 14+ seconds would be a less competitive time.

Considering faster runners are 3.0, 2.7, 2.5 out of the box to first base and more athletic Runners can be even faster in the longer run around the bases.
Under 12.0 and 11.0 exhibit the more athletic players.
But not all of D1 players are the fastest. There are a lot of those that are just the best hitters and are not near 3.0 to first base.

YES! RAD, this is the most I've ever agreed with you.

It's hilarious seeing people talk about how all these 12 year olds post speeds that are as fast as Olympic sprinters. Maybe that unicorn exists, but you're certainly not talking the norm, even for high-level players. Even for fast high-level players.

Hand-timed is almost useless. When we've done hand-timing, we would have two people do it and their readings would sometimes be off by as much as a half-second on home-to-first. That's a huge difference. It also matters if you're just having them sprint or actually measuring functional speed on the bases. I guess if you're comparing two players who were measured the same way, it's useful. But I want to know how fast a person is on the bases in a game, not how fast they can run in a straight line in a gym.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
True but Andrews had to pick up the ball, her coach etc which probably slows you down a bit too.

Outside of a slight delay after contact, I doubt she's slowing down at any point. You can pick up the ball and the coach while running full speed. I'm guessing she knew she was going to try to score when she was halfway to second.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles