WHEN THE OTHER PITCHER DOMINATES

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree with a lot of these strategies which basically boil down to getting on base anyway you can and making sure if a dominating pitcher makes a mistake (which they won't do very often which is why they are dominating..) you better jump on it. That said all of this will typically net only a few runs.. 🤷‍♂️ As an example (I know this is baseball sorry..) but in 2000 the Pedro Martinez had an ERA of 1.74 while the league average was (a steroid-induced) 5.07 (second best Roger Clemens with an ERA of 3.70). So if you want to actually win those games, 9 out of 10 times you had better have a pitcher who is capable of shutting down the other team..

For your viewing pleasure (and since I need something to take my mind off of the absolutely atrocious 2020 Red Sox pitching staff) Pedro's 1999 All Star game performance (with a back-pick attempt and caught stealing thrown in to keep @RADcatcher 's attention) :

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
There's a difference between an excellent and a dominant pitcher. A dominant pitcher is a performance or event. A dominant pitcher does not necessarily have to be an excellent pitcher.

You prepare for excellent pitchers you can't prepare for a dominant pitcher. The moon and stars align and they're on. Sure you may get wood on it and you may even win. No one is unbeatable.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There's a difference between an excellent and a dominant pitcher. A dominant pitcher is a performance or event.
A dominant pitcher does not necessarily have to be an excellent pitcher.

You prepare for excellent pitchers you can't prepare for a dominant pitcher. The moon and stars align and they're on. Sure you may get wood on it and you may even win. No one is unbeatable.
That is just a comment on verbage/description. Those words are not exclusive to eachother.
Dominant/excellent pitchers can be one game or a season, or a career.

Prepairing and having a strategy can be used in either case!

Success defeating the dominate pitcher is in the books!
In other words,
Just because a pitcher can be dominating doesnt mean they win every game.

Jun 26, 2020
That is just a comment on verbage/description. Those words are not exclusive to eachother.
Dominant/excellent pitchers can be one game or a season, or a career.

Prepairing and having a strategy can be used in either case!

Success defeating the dominate pitcher is in the books!
In other words,
Just because a pitcher can be dominating doesnt mean they win every game.
They are absolutely exclusive. A pitcher can dominate certain types of teams and have a potential to do really well, but struggle against other rosters.

The same goes against certain batters. My daughters have a hit list against batters and they:re hitting well below .100. One is an all State and national player and she's barely fouled a ball and hasn't gotten a hit in over 20 ABs

One of my daughters lost a no hitter. 1-0. She had 16Ks. That was a long quiet ride home

radness

Dec 13, 2019
They are absolutely exclusive. A pitcher can dominate certain types of teams and have a potential to do really well, but struggle against other rosters.

The same goes against certain batters. My daughters have a hit list against batters and they:re hitting well below .100. One is an all State and national player and she's barely fouled a ball and hasn't gotten a hit in over 20 ABs

One of my daughters lost a no hitter. 1-0. She had 16Ks. That was a long quiet ride home
The conversation is
What do you do when a pitcher is dominating?

Your reply seems to be you cant do anything.
Of which i disagree!
Trying to keep doing same thing with bad results is unnecessary!

There are tools that can help produce a better outcome!

Can even incorporate training to prepair for better results.
Especially when knowing your batters will face pitchers who can have dominating days.

Cat- you dont have to agree with wanting to adjust strategy.
However it is not true to say adjusting strategy cant help!
Simply because it can help and does!

Jun 26, 2020
The conversation is
What do you do when a pitcher is dominating?

Your reply seems to be you cant do anything.
Of which i disagree!
Trying to keep doing same thing with bad results is unnecessary!

There are tools that can help produce a better outcome!

Can even incorporate training to prepair for better results.
Especially when knowing your batters will face pitchers who can have dominating days.

Cat- you dont have to agree with wanting to adjust strategy.
However it is not true to say adjusting strategy cant help!
Simply because it can help and does!
Differing opinions. No big deal. Not sure why you're making a mission of it

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I agree with a lot of these strategies which basically boil down to getting on base anyway you can and making sure if a dominating pitcher makes a mistake (which they won't do very often which is why they are dominating..) you better jump on it. That said all of this will typically net only a few runs.. 🤷‍♂️ As an example (I know this is baseball sorry..) but in 2000 the Pedro Martinez had an ERA of 1.74 while the league average was (a steroid-induced) 5.07 (second best Roger Clemens with an ERA of 3.70). So if you want to actually win those games, 9 out of 10 times you had better have a pitcher who is capable of shutting down the other team..

For your viewing pleasure (and since I need something to take my mind off of the absolutely atrocious 2020 Red Sox pitching staff) Pedro's 1999 All Star game performance (with a back-pick attempt and caught stealing thrown in to keep @RADcatcher 's attention) :

Ok watched video.
Nice to see active catchers!
In either sport! 👍
Helps get outs!

Jun 26, 2020
To Grow Softball! 👍
Same here, that's what I do for a living. My job was to take the 96 Olympics to grow and drive a wedge in fastpitch changing it from a men's game to a women's game I did ok at it. It doesn't have anything to do with this conversation though

In timed games you'll have at best 3 ABs if you're strong offensively, we've cancelled that out though If you're not you'll maybe squeak 2. Also half your line up will be burned down before you realize you're seeing a dominant pitching performance.

In 7 innings you're guaranteed 2 trips through the line up. A dominant will not allow 3 complete trips, but let's go with it any way.

3 ABs one burnt. What do you tell the players to do for the next 2ABs that will make a difference? Also is it repeatable?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Same here, that's what I do for a living. My job was to take the 96 Olympics to grow and drive a wedge in fastpitch changing it from a men's game to a women's game I did ok at it. It doesn't have anything to do with this conversation though

In timed games you'll have at best 3 ABs if you're strong offensively, we've cancelled that out though If you're not you'll maybe squeak 2. Also half your line up will be burned down before you realize you're seeing a dominant pitching performance.

In 7 innings you're guaranteed 2 trips through the line up. A dominant will not allow 3 complete trips, but let's go with it any way.

3 ABs one burnt. What do you tell the players to do for the next 2ABs that will make a difference? Also is it repeatable?
Nice to find other people in softball who have been around for some years. As have i.
Also had the opportunity to play with the mens fastpitch team Long Beach Nighthawks.

? You were to change men's game to womans game?
Interested in reading your thoughts on what you may have seen as a differences in womans to mens game in fastpitch?

As for the teams batters having the opportunity to put the ball in play vs. Striking out.
Raise my hand to put the ball in play!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball