WHEN THE OTHER PITCHER DOMINATES

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd in 10u we were in a league with all travel teams, midweek we played 6 inning double headers. One game my dd pitched a no hitter with 18 strikeouts. Not a single ball hit into fair territory. And we lost 2-0. Walked a couple of batters and they moved up. Both scored on over-throws during steal attempts.
You can beat a dominating pitcher. For the record this was not the only no hitter she lost.

Aug 21, 2008
Either:

1. try to get the base umpire to call illegal pitches for whatever reason.
2. get thrown out of the game so I don't have to keep watching. :rolleyes:

Feb 20, 2020
Here's the follow up -- one I am all too familiar with. What do you do when YOUR pitcher is overmatched? She's throwing fine, but the other team hits everything that comes close to the zone, and is good enough to hit the gaps in your defense. She's your number one, better than the others on the team. So how do you handle when your best pitcher can't get a yellow ball past the batters?.

May 23, 2015
It's a game. COMPETE! Tip you hat when it's over.
Well of course you compete and try.. Coaching a change in the dugout does not work. If it did just whisper throw strikes in a pitchers ear when they're struggling. See how that goes

You prepare before the games and put the wheels in motion. Proper planning prevents pass poor performance is so true

Jun 26, 2020
Here's the follow up -- one I am all too familiar with. What do you do when YOUR pitcher is overmatched? She's throwing fine, but the other team hits everything that comes close to the zone, and is good enough to hit the gaps in your defense. She's your number one, better than the others on the team. So how do you handle when your best pitcher can't get a yellow ball past the batters?.
That happens. Sometimes the ball just comes straight. Teams will have big eyes. Once it starts lts hard to stop. Hits follow hits

May 27, 2013
I have found that sometimes just throwing a pitcher who is slower in velocity or has more “junk” is the way to go with a team who is hitting your #1 hard. The change of speed is sometimes enough to throw them off. Or if the pitcher throws more riseballs as their go to pitch, switch to a down ball pitcher. It also could just be your #1 is not spinning the ball as best as she could. All pitchers have an off game. You might face the same team tomorrow and your #1 sits them down after getting hit the day before. It happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi