Winning coin flip. Home or Visitor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2012
Hey guys. About to go to play at our Middle School State tournament. Wondering strategy of choosing home or away at coin flip. I feel we are the favorites and have a really solid pitcher. Not sure if trying to get first ABs and put pressure on them when we are the favorites is a good strategy. Any thoughts.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I always chose to hit first in pool play games and usually the first bracket game if the games were finish the inning. We would usually slaughter rule a bunch of teams. My thought process was that I did not want to give up 3 or 4 turns to bat over the course of a tournament because of the slaughter rule. In a slaughter rule game the home team may not get to hit in the final inning.

Games were usually more competitive by the time we got to the 2nd round of bracket play. At that point I would choose the to be the home team if I won the coin toss.

In your situation, I would choose to be the home team.

Oct 4, 2018
I like being visitors. One reason is to put some pressure on them by scoring first. Second reason is my main one:

Get your girls more at bats.

Example is last night. We were home team. We were leading the whole the game, so didn't get our last at bats. Girls want at bats. Being visitor gives you more of them.

Feb 25, 2022
This past spring, we played in a non-sanctioned tournament with a drop dead rule and the score did not revert to the previous inning. This was not a friendly, round robin, but an actual tournament. I've never heard of such a thing. In that particular case, away team every flip. We lost in semis, which this rule still applied. Didn't hang around to see if it continued in champ game but we'll never play that tournament again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00