When does the batter start moving.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So instead of "getting into a position" use 'feel'? There's no difference. There's obviously a 'feel' when getting into a good position. 'On time' is where I wanna be. "The hay is in the barn" and all I mean from that is you've taken quality tee, front toss, machine, or live pitching swings. You've done constraints, worked on internal/external cues. When you're in the box it's time to hit. Your brain shouldn't be thinking about engine 1 or 5. You've done all the thinking at lessons or practice. My thoughts anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Once you understand that it is more about the body's movement 'towards' and 'through' "that position" ... and not "that position" ... you will find that being 'on time' is simply a matter of a 'twitch'.

I would suggest that if you haven't reached this point, then you have not put enough hay in the barn ... at least not to my liking.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks for the insight.

I can appreciate your view. I am the guy who will ‘help’ as much as I can with the less athletic ones more than the ‘athletically gifted’. Partly because I do believe you are only as good as your weakest link. Also in part because my EGO is huge(lol, j/k) and I think I can help the poorest level player improve. I am a big sap in this regard.

The question was posed after the fact that all the boxes were ‘checked’. Which as you know takes some time to accomplish. Mechanics, approach, confidence need to be instilled first.

I enjoy helping players accomplish things they didn’t think they could. It is the most rewarding part of coaching(definitely not the relationships with the parents or the pay).

Ps. Sorry for confusion FFS I forgot to quote you.

Body awareness is a funny thing... As the pitching gets better, awareness gets better. It certainly helps to have a coach that can recognize this and move the player in the right ‘direction’ in both literal and figurative terms. . Athleticism is down played in diamond sports. So is coaching for the most part... one big reason why forums like this exist.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Once you understand that it is more about the body's movement 'towards' and 'through' "that position" ... and not "that position" ... you will find that being 'on time' is simply a matter of a 'twitch'.

I would suggest that if you haven't reached this point, then you have not put enough hay in the barn ... at least not to my liking.
So when does the 'twitch' happen? What tells the brain 'go'? What helps timing after learning how your body moves/works? Maybe "getting into a good position" doesn't work for some because it does sound very robotic to some but that would dismiss constraints out of a hitting session. Vision is obviously important but when everything checks out, what gives?

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Thanks for the insight.

I can appreciate your view. I am the guy who will ‘help’ as much as I can with the less athletic ones more than the ‘athletically gifted’. Partly because I do believe you are only as good as your weakest link. Also in part because my EGO is huge(lol, j/k) and I think I can help the poorest level player improve. I am a big sap in this regard.

The question was posed after the fact that all the boxes were ‘checked’. Which as you know takes some time to accomplish. Mechanics, approach, confidence need to be instilled first.

I enjoy helping players accomplish things they didn’t think they could. It is the most rewarding part of coaching(definitely not the relationships with the parents or the pay).

Ps. Sorry for confusion FFS I forgot to quote you.

Body awareness is a funny thing... As the pitching gets better, awareness gets better. It certainly helps to have a coach that can recognize this and move the player in the right ‘direction’ in both literal and figurative terms. . Athleticism is down played in diamond sports. So is coaching for the most part... one big reason why forums like this exist.
I think you win!! Approach and Confidence is huge!

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
FFS,
I agree with all you've shared but sometimes we as parents or coaches gotta give credit to the pitcher. Not too many folks take in account the movement or speeds these kids are facing. So we can say it's athleticism, mechanics, mental, vision, CONSISTENCY etc. And in reality, it's all of them.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So when does the 'twitch' happen? What tells the brain 'go'? What helps timing after learning how your body moves/works? Maybe "getting into a good position" doesn't work for some because it does sound very robotic to some but that would dismiss constraints out of a hitting session. Vision is obviously important but when everything checks out, what gives?

The ‘twitch’ happens when it is time to initiate the swing.

Muscles move on commands from the brain.

The ‘move out’, which occurs during the ‘reading of the pitch’, should suggest that the eyes are involved.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS,
I agree with all you've shared but sometimes we as parents or coaches gotta give credit to the pitcher. Not too many folks take in account the movement or speeds these kids are facing. So we can say it's athleticism, mechanics, mental, vision, CONSISTENCY etc. And in reality, it's all of them.

Occasionally a hitter may feel the need to tip their cap to the pitcher … just don’t make a habit of it :).

ian

Jun 11, 2015
So, when does the batter start her negative move, load, coil and stride. I have heard dance with the pitcher. I like that. I like slow to explode. All hitters are different, but does anybody teach a cue to start your hitter moving? Since the best mechanics in the world are useless without timing the swing to the pitch shouldn't the hitters have a general cue on when to start dancing? I know pitchers have different deliveries, but is there a basic cue (pitchers position- like when her hand come towards home, the hitter starts to coil) that would help hitters struggling with timing live pitching? Thanks

Start the negative move as late as possible. Negative move does not include the dance.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06