When does the batter start moving.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
No offense but, useless(above examples) unless the pitcher is included in the gif/video/demo.
Kind of like this:
Miggy_pat_seq.gif

And this:
Braun_pat_seq.gif

Again JMHO...

Do you have the Kris Davis centerfield veiw gif from a few weeks ago? That is a late negative move.

Last edited:

ian

Jun 11, 2015
The general rule of thumb I use is "ball in the air, foot in the air". In other words, on the pitcher's release, the stride should be going forward. All pre-stride movements need to be complete before that moment. Watching the pitcher from the dugout, followed by timed practice swings on deck, will help a batter get a feel for when their process should start.

That said, if the pitching is significantly slow, the timing of the process might need to be adjusted. This is why players need to spend time studying the pitcher BEFORE they step out onto the field.

In related news...One of the most common issues I see with players moving from rec ball to travel ball is timing their swing against faster pitching. With slow, rec league pitching, players will often have enough time to read the pitch and complete their entire swing process after the ball has left the pitcher's hand. As the pitching speed increases, there comes a point where there simply isn't enough time to start the swing process after pitch release. Learning to get started on every pitch, before knowing the location, is a critical adjustment.

I will add: When DD was younger and started her negative move earlier she could hit fast pitching fine. Slow pitching/off speed was her problem. Last second negative move helps a lot.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
The ‘twitch’ happens when it is time to initiate the swing.

Muscles move on commands from the brain.

The ‘move out’, which occurs during the ‘reading of the pitch’, should suggest that the eyes are involved.

Whats going on while you are reading the pitch? do you slot? start lowering your hands on a low pitch? What are your arms doing while you are reading the pitch? Assuming you are going to swing and it is your pitch every time, you are going to swing. So as you go through your sequence do your arms and hands begin to move towards the local, AS you read?
This might not be asked in a clear concise way. I like the kids to get to this twitch time in every swing. i would love to see some vids of or a pic of Twitch time.
loadedtruth.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Whats going on while you are reading the pitch? do you slot? start lowering your hands on a low pitch? What are your arms doing while you are reading the pitch? Assuming you are going to swing and it is your pitch every time, you are going to swing. So as you go through your sequence do your arms and hands begin to move towards the local, AS you read?
This might not be asked in a clear concise way.

rdbass provided this clip on another board.
bGbJEFg.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This might not be asked in a clear concise way. I like the kids to get to this twitch time in every swing. i would love to see some vids of or a pic of Twitch time.
View attachment 13310

Mann, I'm still waiting for you to put into words what the girl was trying to do in the segment below.

Drag_It.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06