What would you expect coaches/tournament directors to do differently when we return back to play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
Was texting with my coaches Friday about the double header idea, whenever we reach the “group of 50” recommendation. It’s something we have already done a lot with teams similar to ours. Our fall schedule is pretty relaxed because of other sports. All we played were weekly double headers sept/oct

To keep some kind of schedule in place, we typically do 80 min, finish the inning.

Aug 25, 2019
I think TB will come down to when kids go back to school. If it's "safe" enough for school, it should be " safe" enough for softball. Hence, no TB this summer.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
Personally, I really like the idea of full game length double-headers rather than tourneys, even after we get into post-covid19 life.

Just fundamentally think three pool play games with no new inning after 90 minutes on Saturday and single elimination on Sunday is very flawed. Don't think it's the best way to develop players, have fun, minimize injuries or diminish burnout.

This could be one of the long-term impacts people have been speculating about. I’m not sure why the tournament format has become so dominant, does it really benefit anyone other than tournament organizers and parents who want plastic trophies?

Where DD plays in NJ, there are at least three organizations that feature a league format, where teams play doubleheaders in six-week seasons and then participate in playoff rounds. The problem is that the better teams play tournaments only, so you get a mix of rec-level and very low-level “travel” teams as opponents.

If public health issues require smaller gatherings, I would welcome games twice a week against evenly-matched opponents with a few weeks of playoffs. I would not miss 12-hour days at crowded fields just to get three games in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2019
This could be one of the long-term impacts people have been speculating about. I’m not sure why the tournament format has become so dominant, does it really benefit anyone other than tournament organizers and parents who want plastic trophies?

Where DD plays in NJ, there are at least three organizations that feature a league format, where teams play doubleheaders in six-week seasons and then participate in playoff rounds. The problem is that the better teams play tournaments only, so you get a mix of rec-level and very low-level “travel” teams as opponents.

If public health issues require smaller gatherings, I would welcome games twice a week against evenly-matched opponents with a few weeks of playoffs. I would not miss 12-hour days at crowded fields just to get three games in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This makes too much sense. Waiting up to 3 or 4 hours between games is asinine. I wonder if this could be done within the auspices of existing rec leagues. Rec leagues are in dire need of revenue. Participating teams could avoid padding the pockets of tournament organizers. If you could get 6 teams to sign up, each team would have the opportunity to play 5 different teams.

Apr 1, 2017
The league we are scheduled to play in this spring/summer has 15? teams in it. Ultimate goal is everyone plays home/home against each other, but reality usually ends up about 18 games + playoffs. All scheduling is done through google calendar. Just add dates/times you have a home field and whoever can make that work modifies the calendar to add their name as opponent.

Right now, we are scheduled for playoffs mid June to leave time for tournaments after. My guess is, IF we reach a point where games are allowed, but tournaments are not, league could just be expanded through July.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
I really enjoyed some league games, Double headers, can definitely work for the younger ages. The tournament camps, clinics will be an issue, dozens of college coaches taking pitchers velocities, spins. two teams at a complex, does not allow for much exposure if there are only 2 teams, Recruiting would be more difficult, Video may become more important. Really can't see this lasting much longer,

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
My DD's team played in a weeknight league a few times a couple of years ago. I liked it, one game a night (2-3 times a week) 2 hour games. Nice break from tournaments, but as someone said, the competition isn't the greatest, (neither was DD's team, so it worked out.)

Feb 25, 2018
How difficult would it be to have honest talent assessment of teams and schedule teams of similar ability play each other?

Here in MA, I know of around a dozen 14u clubs of similiar talent that could play each other.
Tourney format, even with "A" and "B" classifications, has a fair amount of mismatches.

Just don't get it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13