Do you ever see plays differently than other coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I don’t remember much from my career but I do remember a college HR I hit. First pitch I hit a low inside fastball out to LF but it was a foot foul. Next pitch the dumbarse throws me the same da&@ pitch and I hit it out again..a foot fair this time 🤣

I quit a week after that..figured the 4 leaf clover up my arse wasn’t going to work anymore.
Dropping the bat in the slot and beating the ball to that spot generates a ton of ball speed, a 3B’s nightmare!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
When I called pitches in 12U and first year 14U, I swear sometimes I felt like I was cheating! After watching girls swing in the on deck circle or after seeing them one time through the lineup, if my pitchers (and my DD) did what they were supposed to do, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

I started calling locations this summer during our playoffs (our pitchers don't have pitches, but a couple of them have developed good enough control to hit spots often enough). It made the game a lot more fun for me, that's for sure. And it worked. It felt good to finally shut down a team that always beats us with their "good hitters," except most of those hitters can't hit balls in certain spots. Just kept attacking them in those spots for three straight games.

I did make sure to explain to the pitcher and catcher what we were doing and why. I want them to learn, but I also really, really enjoy outsmarting children. :)

Mar 10, 2020
Feel free to add parents to the title as well. Often during games, but a lot during practices - a ball is hit, and as the play unfolds, what I'm thinking or silently (or, admittedly, verbally!) encouraging the girls to do is often different than what my fellow coaches would either prefer or expect to have happened.

I see a ball drop 5-10' away from an OF that's running to get it, others will say "If you really ran hard for that one, it wouldn't have dropped". (To myself: "she was running hard, you may be overestimating her top speed!).

I see the OF double pump b/c the 2B wasn't looking at her yet, others are already yelling to "get it in!".

I guess I'm not really sure what the solution is - maybe this is just a minor vent, or maybe I'm the one with the rose-colored glasses? I'll definitely call an error when I see one, and I understand about the need to have high expectations / standards, but I'm curious to know if there are coaches who also feel as if they're watching completely different plays/games, based on the reactions of other coaches / parents.
Hard to find two coaches on the same team who agree.
Coach at first tells batter go 2.
Players gets thrown out.
Third base coach yells at kid why did you run.
Happens all the time.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Ozzie Smith had about the fielding % as Cal Ripken, who had limited range. He may have led the league in errors but I don't remember that.

The same could be said of Jeter's jump throws. Some were great, and efficient. But many were not. Jordy Mercer actually completed a much higher percentage of backhand plays from the same spot in the hole than Jeter, but Jeter had the style. And no I am not a Pirates fan in the least. Mercer got his center of gravity lower and was able to get off quicker and stronger throws. Here is the perfect example necessary in fast pitch. If the Right Knee touches the ground, that reduces a top-heavy fielding position
* so the fielder takes one step through on that right foot to brace and throw.
* This allows the fielder to come up and throw with one single step after gloving the ball.
* This left-side extension actually incresses the reach of the fielder over right foot forward.
* THE LOWER THE RIGHT KNEE, THE EASIER THE TRANSITION TO THE THROW and the less kinetic energy the fielder has to overcome!

NOTE: Do not allow the fielder to step back! Always through onto the tight foot, then turn/pivot to throw.

Attachments

• MichaelYoung backhand.jpg
    MichaelYoung backhand.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The same could be said of Jeter's jump throws. Some were great, and efficient. But many were not. Jordy Mercer actually completed a much higher percentage of backhand plays from the same spot in the hole than Jeter, but Jeter had the style. And no I am not a Pirates fan in the least. Mercer got his center of gravity lower and was able to get off quicker and stronger throws. Here is the perfect example necessary in fast pitch. Right knee touches the ground, reduces top heavy fielding position so the fielder takes one step through on that right foot to brace snd throw. This allows the fielder to come up and throw with one single step after gloving the ball. It isn't baseball! THE LOWER THE RIGHT KNEE, THE EASIER THE TRANSITION TO THE THROW!
Jeter was an average fielder...and no I am not just saying that because I am a Red Sox fan.

Jul 4, 2013
Sitting on the sidelines, I feel like I see frustrated coaches yelling at their defense when pitchers are being torched all the time. It feels like misdirected, counterproductive effort to me. After three line drives to the gap and a scorched grounder up the middle, the defense is being screamed at that someone has to make a play when it appears to me that they have done all that they could given how the ball was struck. Yes, the ball is rolling around on the field, but doubles do exist, and that is what they look like.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, sometimes the pitcher is the best you have and doing her best and she doesn't need that kind of after the fact nonsense either. But that is kind of what frustrates me about hearing it, because it isn't helping anyone. Feels like the coach is making noise for him or herself rather than the good of the team.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Sitting on the sidelines, I feel like I see frustrated coaches yelling at their defense when pitchers are being torched all the time. It feels like misdirected, counterproductive effort to me. After three line drives to the gap and a scorched grounder up the middle, the defense is being screamed at that someone has to make a play when it appears to me that they have done all that they could given how the ball was struck. Yes, the ball is rolling around on the field, but doubles do exist, and that is what they look like.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, sometimes the pitcher is the best you have and doing her best and she doesn't need that kind of after the fact nonsense either. But that is kind of what frustrates me about hearing it, because it isn't helping anyone. Feels like the coach is making noise for him or herself rather than the good of the team.

In 46 years I am not guilty one time of ever yelling at a player on the field, or in front of her teammates. However, twice I have stopped the game and removed a player from a game for behavior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood