What would you expect coaches/tournament directors to do differently when we return back to play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
And the Ivy's are already discussing going strictly to online classes again for the Fall Semester.

Although I agree with you, for some reason I don't foresee the 'money hungry' TB industry foregoing their profits for an entire season. I truly don't know what the answers are but I can make a guess that a lot of organizations may try to have smaller tournaments at larger facilities over a series of weekends. In other words, one weekend may just be 8 teams of 12U at a facility of that has 10 fields. The next weekend 14U. This would allow social distancing and access to relatively uncrowded restrooms. The real question is, are they actually going to be able to field teams to play and umpires to call the games in these?

I'm thinking that a lot of facilities that depend on tournament revenue will be offering big discounts just to recoup some of their losses and stay solvent; even if that means putting portable wash stations at every field. Of course, with all of the "essential" (and I use that term loosely) construction projects going on, they are pretty much non-existent to rent in my area.

I am currently on one of these projects and believe me when I say, the only "essential" part is the customer wants it done. In order to help keep us "safe," they had to purchase clean, 55 gallon oil drums, fill them with water and add a barrel heater and hose bib so we could wash our hands with a small bottle of soap off to the side.
In our area, the facilities are owned by local governments which have the final say on when to reopen. So tournament directors have no say over when tournaments can resume.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
In our area, the facilities are owned by local governments which have the final say on when to reopen. So tournament directors have no say over when tournaments can resume.

Around my area, it's a mix but the largest facilities within an hour or so drive are privately owned. One of our larger rec leagues (about 10 minutes from my house) has a facility with 20 fields. It's privately owned just as an example.

Since, in the BOD's infinite wisdom several years ago to farm out the running of the concession stands and field maintenance, the rec league is now in serious jeopardy of folding even with rec fees at $125 + per player,,,and they have a lot of players for this small area. The complex is heavily dependent upon tournament revenue between mid-June through August to stay viable.

Jun 8, 2016
Coaches of teams of similar abilities need to get together and set up 2 team (double header) friendlies if they want to get games in before the Fall (or maybe even the spring).

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have a hard time seeing an insurance company signing off on a tournament policy, even with covid-19 riders in the policy.

That's another hurdle for the TD's to deal with. Like I said before, I don't think we'll see anyone playing much, if at all, but that doesn't mean there won't be organizations and facilities out there trying to do something.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Trying to apply some thinking about indoor facilities.
The weekly softball/hitting routines that were packed into buildings there would be NO distancing.
For the owners would seriously consider now (not waiting )
re-arranging floor plans, which may mean giving up profitable space.
Perhaps cutting athletes in the building down by half atleast.
Additionally using some of the suggestions on this thread.
Like only one parent,
no extra family members,
will help.

Then theres the money comming in being cut in half.
So Cal building rents/leases are VERY expensive. Not certain if there will be adjustments in the business market to balance.

People who own buildings lowering leases to keep another business in their building?

Anyone have comments toward this?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Coaches of teams of similar abilities need to get together and set up 2 team (double header) friendlies if they want to get games in before the Fall (or maybe even the spring).
This was VERY common years ago!
We played during the week.
Also did this weekends as we did not have friendlies.
Games were 7 innings or 2 hours each!
RAD

Jun 8, 2016
This was VERY common years ago!
We played during the week.
Also did this weekends as we did not have friendlies.
Games were 7 innings or 2 hours each!
RAD
I think it is still done, especially in CA from what I have seen..just not with only 2 teams (probably 3 or 4 teams). Get 2 umpires, have the parents stay away, etc. That is as safe as it is going to get while still providing the kids with some competition to get better and have some fun... Also like you said you could run those on weekdays as well..

The bold is the reason the kids are supposed to be playing anyway right (e.g. not for a trophy or FB brag..)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think it is still done, especially in CA from what I have seen..just not with only 2 teams (probably 3 or 4 teams). Get 2 umpires, have the parents stay away, etc. That is as safe as it is going to get while still providing the kids with some competition to get better and have some fun...

The bold is the reason the kids are supposed to be playing anyway right (e.g. not for a trophy or FB brag..)
From what you have seen in so cal? Thought you live in a tornado state? :)
No not many teams play during the week here. Friendlies weekends took over.
Of course people play double headers here and there on weekends.
Not like it was common years back. Where all teams did.
Played during the week too!

There probably is not enough fields in so cal for all teams to do this. It would create same social group gatherings.

Limit teams at tournaments would be about equivilant.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez