Do you ever see plays differently than other coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
You are old, I think he lead the league in errors. He got to balls no one on the planet could get to, error.
Ozzie Smith had about the fielding % as Cal Ripken, who had limited range. He may have led the league in errors but I don't remember that.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I would often make a quick fist pump no sooner the ball left her hand. I knew at that point that it would be a good pitch.
When I called pitches in 12U and first year 14U, I swear sometimes I felt like I was cheating! After watching girls swing in the on deck circle or after seeing them one time through the lineup, if my pitchers (and my DD) did what they were supposed to do, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When I called pitches in 12U and first year 14U, I swear sometimes I felt like I was cheating! After watching girls swing in the on deck circle or after seeing them one time through the lineup, if my pitchers (and my DD) did what they were supposed to do, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

I agree completely. Especially at the younger ages. There are some glaring things that a hitter may do that gives away their weaknesses. As our players gained experience we would point out these things to our pitchers and catchers. Any pitcher or catcher that was not playing was responsible for scouting the other team's hitters and then communicate what they learned with the battery for that game. Obviously the coaches were involved in this as well, but after a while we didn't have to say much. Show confidence in the players and they will learn very quickly.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I agree completely. Especially at the younger ages. There are some glaring things that a hitter may do that gives away their weaknesses. As our players gained experience we would point out these things to our pitchers and catchers. Any pitcher or catcher that was not playing was responsible for scouting the other team's hitters and then communicate what they learned with the battery for that game. Obviously the coaches were involved in this as well, but after a while we didn't have to say much. Show confidence in the players and they will learn very quickly.
The other coach on our 12U team used to give me that look, like man you know that’s not right, you’re evil! ;)

Girl lays the bat back flat or drops her hands, throw her a high pitch.

Girl swings up, throw her a drop ball.

Girl swings the knob around her body, throw her an outside pitch.

Girl stands on the plate, throw it in the river inside, that applies to all ages!

Girl easily gets out on her front foot, throw her a change and tell your 3B to be ready!

Aug 6, 2013
The other coach on our 12U team used to give me that look, like man you know that’s not right, you’re evil! ;)

Girl lays the bat back flat or drops her hands, throw her a high pitch.

Girl swings up, throw her a drop ball.

Girl swings the knob around her body, throw her an outside pitch.

Girl stands on the plate, throw it in the river inside, that applies to all ages!

Girl easily gets out on her front foot, throw her a change and tell your 3B to be ready!
DD plays 18’s and she crowds the plate. She is the by far the girl with the most HBP on her team. She took 3 just this last weekend. She has one hell of a bruise on her thigh. It’s painful to look at. Rarely strikes out on inside pitches.

Aug 6, 2013
To answer the OP - yes. I am scorekeeper and often find I have a different opinion than the HC lol. He would call everything an error when the team plays D if he could. He’s that coach who yells in that pop up example given. However, he is also a little more generous on hits than I tend to be so I guess it’s a wash 🤷‍♀️

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
DD plays 18’s and she crowds the plate. She is the by far the girl with the most HBP on her team. She took 3 just this last weekend. She has one hell of a bruise on her thigh. It’s painful to look at. Rarely strikes out on inside pitches.

This past weekend in Atlanta I spent a lot of extra time in the cage with our 2B who’s committed to a D2 school. I worked with her specifically on still staying inside the ball on inside pitches, she has crazy fast hands! I just kept explaining to her how much power is generated on simply dropping the barrel down on low inside pitches but staying inside the ball with the spin it creates will keep the ball from hooking and it’ll actually fly straight and stay fair!

This girl is small, great athlete but small. In the championship game Sunday she hit two balls to dead left field that were 10/15 feet fair with pitches that were identical to exactly what we worked on! Both balls hit the fence on the fly! Seeing this girls face light up and the way she looked at me from second base was worth the 600+ miles I drove this weekend!

Girls who give up on inside pitches don’t know what they’re missing! And this is coming from someone who loves balls hit to the opposite side!

Jun 8, 2016
This past weekend in Atlanta I spent a lot of extra time in the cage with our 2B who’s committed to a D2 school. I worked with her specifically on still staying inside the ball on inside pitches, she has crazy fast hands! I just kept explaining to her how much power is generated on simply dropping the barrel down on low inside pitches but staying inside the ball with the spin it creates will keep the ball from hooking and it’ll actually fly straight and stay fair!

This girl is small, great athlete but small. In the championship game Sunday she hit two balls to dead left field that were 10/15 feet fair with pitches that were identical to exactly what we worked on! Both balls hit the fence on the fly! Seeing this girls face light up and the way she looked at me from second base was worth the 600+ miles I drove this weekend!

Girls who give up on inside pitches don’t know what they’re missing! And this is coming from someone who loves balls hit to the opposite side!
I don’t remember much from my career but I do remember a college HR I hit. First pitch I hit a low inside fastball out to LF but it was a foot foul. Next pitch the dumbarse throws me the same da&@ pitch and I hit it out again..a foot fair this time 🤣

I quit a week after that..figured the 4 leaf clover up my arse wasn’t going to work anymore.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Heck yes I see thing differently. I'll take it one step further. When Tony LaRussa was coaching the Cardinals, I always saw things differently. How was it that I was on the couch and he was on the field? Inquiring minds want to know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom