What would you expect coaches/tournament directors to do differently when we return back to play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
So Cal building rents/leases are VERY expensive. Not certain if there will be adjustments in the business market to balance.

People who own buildings lowering leases to keep another business in their building?

Anyone have comments toward this?

I don't know how tight the market is in SoCal, but in general I suspect there aren't many businesses chomping at the bit to snatch up a newly vacated space. Therefore the landlords will have to work with their current tenants to keep them there.

Jun 8, 2016
Limit teams at tournaments would be about equivilant.
Not really.. 2 teams only with no parents means a gathering of maybe 30-35 people at most? Any tournament worth putting on is going to have 10 times that at least..

Feb 25, 2018
I think it is still done, especially in CA from what I have seen..just not with only 2 teams (probably 3 or 4 teams). Get 2 umpires, have the parents stay away, etc. That is as safe as it is going to get while still providing the kids with some competition to get better and have some fun... Also like you said you could run those on weekdays as well..

The bold is the reason the kids are supposed to be playing anyway right (e.g. not for a trophy or FB brag..)

Personally, I really like the idea of full game length double-headers rather than tourneys, even after we get into post-covid19 life.

Just fundamentally think three pool play games with no new inning after 90 minutes on Saturday and single elimination on Sunday is very flawed. Don't think it's the best way to develop players, have fun, minimize injuries or diminish burnout.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not really.. 2 teams only with no parents means a gathering of maybe 30-35 people at most? Any tournament worth putting on is going to have 10 times that at least..
TOO MANY TEAMS in so cal.
Not enough fields to accomodate.

Agree do like idea of double headers.

Maybe it will be an option instead of indoor facilities during the week.

But teams already piggy back using fields for practice weekly.
Anyone can start a team....not everyone can have a field to practice on...
Indoor facilities flourished because of this.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
TOO MANY TEAMS in so cal.
Not enough fields to accomodate.

Agree do like idea of double headers.

Maybe it will be an option instead of indoor facilities during the week.

But teams already piggy back using fields for practice weekly.
I don't live in SoCAL.. :p

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I don't know how tight the market is in SoCal, but in general I suspect there aren't many businesses chomping at the bit to snatch up a newly vacated space. Therefore the landlords will have to work with their current tenants to keep them there.
This seems advisable. Also considered this happening.
Wonder if a person in that market has info?

Jun 8, 2016
Yes you've mentioned.
I do. My old "thomas guide map" ;)
had restaurants and fast food scribbled in at all field locations.
Aka bathrooms :)
It would be a "snooze you lose" sort of scenario..1st come 1st serve..Not perfect but something..

May 29, 2015
Perspectives, perspectives, perspectives ...

He was talking about relationships, but to quote the great Jimmy Buffet: "We all got 'em, we all want 'em, now what do we do with them?"

Here is my perspective ... rub it together with a nickel and you'll have a few cents left ... maybe not any sense though ...

You may live in an area where this doesn't seem to be impacting you beyond the inconveniences of life. I live in a state that is still posting new highs for death totals every day this past week (125 yesterday ... which is 1/10th of our entire death total ... in one day). I also live in a county that seems to be fudging our numbers. I have two immediate family members who work in hospitals (two different ones) and one working in a county jail. I think this is far enough removed from so many people at this point that it is not real enough for them. It is very real for me.

In my opinion, those measures posted for the softball league to resume play on May 1 are laughable at best, recklessly ghoulish at worst. Yet, it will not surprise me one bit when I hear about it on the national news.

Here is a choir in Seattle that decided it was a good time to go ahead with choir practice: https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

• No cases had been reported in their county at the time (before stay at home orders had been issued)
  • Half of the members (60) showed up
  • A greeter at the door provided hand sanitizer to everybody
  • No hugging, no handshaking
  • They kept their distance from each other
  • Nobody was coughing, sneezing, or showing signs of any illness
  • Everybody brought their own sheet music from home
  • No direct physical contact was allowed
  • A few members helped put away folding chairs
  • A few had snacks (oranges) that were available
Now the important information: The practice occurred on March 10th. As of March 29th, 45 of the 60 contracted the virus and 2 had died.

"Comstock marveled at the randomness of it all.

“It’s just normal random people doing things that they love to do, and all of a sudden some people are dead,” she said. “It’s very sobering.”

It is NOT random when you do stupid things despite the scientific evidence telling you not to.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Our state is doing pretty good
So to speak if there is good in this.
We are safe at home til May 15th next advisory.
Imo
Considering active life in the future is optomistic.
Planning a better future is a positive goal.

*Not to be confused with any reckless behaviors that did in the past or present occur.

Softball on this website is my interest. Hopefully its ok to discuss making our way back to it while respecting current guidelines of the virus's impact.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi