What would you expect coaches/tournament directors to do differently when we return back to play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
For the sake of this discussion, assume that we return back to play in mid May-June 1st. I understand that may not be possible but I would rather not discuss when we are returning.

What would you expect or like to see coaches and tournament directors implement to reduce the likelihood of spreading the virus?

A few ideas;

Each team gets their own balls. Could limit the transfer of the disease from one team to the other. Clean the balls between innings.

Clean dugouts between games. I am talking disinfecting the dugouts. Similar to what you see the workers at Costco doing to their shopping carts. If you have not seen it they are using a sprayer with some kind of disinfectant. You would have to schedule games further apart to do this.

No sharing of softball equipment. Including bats.

One of the bigger issues I would see is the bathrooms. This would be an issue, especially if they are using portable toilets.

Limit the number of spectators. This would suck but it should help to an extent. 1 parent per player, no siblings. Sounds shitty but if that is what it takes it can be done.

Oct 26, 2019
I am coaching a 10U team in Virginia and my first thought when we return would be double headers between 2 teams at a field might be better than a tournament involving many teams. It would limit the people involved and would limit the need for so many folks sharing one bathroom. You also aren’t worrying about concessions and all the extra that comes with tournaments.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Add
NO SPITTING, sorry chew'ers
NO SUNFLOWER SEEDS.
That includes spitting them or taking seeds out with fingers. Hard to contain shells.

Bathrooms
* Limit occupants!
Hand sanitzer.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Wear masks, and I’m not talking about the medical fabric kind. Everyone where a fielder mask, so they won’t touch their face in the field, then have a big pump bottle of hand sanitizer ehich everyone uses upon returning to dugout.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I am coaching a 10U team in Virginia and my first thought when we return would be double headers between 2 teams at a field might be better than a tournament involving many teams. It would limit the people involved and would limit the need for so many folks sharing one bathroom. You also aren’t worrying about concessions and all the extra that comes with tournaments.

I could certainly see that as an option if we were told no gatherings of more than 50 people.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Limit number of teams at each park. Each age division at separate park and fewer games. Kids with pre existing conditions such as Asthma, type 1 diabetes, etc wear mask at all times. More bathrooms like the portable trailer restrooms and more hand washing stations. If your kids are sick please don't let them play or come as a spectator.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Whether they mandate this or not, my wife,2 YO and 5 YO will not be going to games anytime soon.
Thats a good point,
When the option to play
re-opens...
Everyone needs to make a decision they are comfortable with.

This discussion think is important because it proposes possibilities to find where the decision on that comfort line may be!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478