What to wear?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
My dd is a HS Freshman pitcher. Next month she is going to a pitching camp at a Major D-1 University where she is hoping to get on the coaching staff's radar. Should she wear her full travel uniform? Tournament tee shirt? Practice jersey with her name on the back?

Obviously I know her skills performance is the most important thing for her to showcase but wasn't sure if there is some unwritten camp etiquette that should be observed.

Back in my youth I tried out for a few MLB teams and did everything I could to stand out and get noticed and in my case it meant wearing the full uniform. Too bad I couldn't run the 60 in under 7 sec....

Apr 13, 2010
Well that's not really the same thing. That was about going to a competing org's tryouts. My kid has never been to college.

Apr 1, 2010
My advice for a college camp would be pretty close to my advice in the tryout thread. You want to her to look like a serious softball player. In my opinion, that means softball pants, socks and belt, and a tucked in shirt. Since it's a college camp rather than a tryout, I'd lean toward a shirt from that college or perhaps the practice jersey with her name on it (that should make it easy for them to figure out who she is.)

Nov 29, 2009
Have your daughter wear a bright/neon colored t-shirt with her last name on it. She will stick out and the coaches will not have to ask each other what her name is. Be sure she wears her long softball pants and socks. Long pants make a player look like more of an athlete to me. Then tell her to try and out hustle every other girl there. Those things will get the coaches eye. Don't be shy about making her intentions about wanting to possibly play ball at that school.

The important part is afterwards. Follow up with the coach and let them know where she'll be playing at during the summer.

Oct 7, 2009
Might want to check the source of of where you got in the information for the try-out. I've seen try-out announcements (albeit not D1 college announcements) specify things like plain white shirt and the like.

Oh heck. I got confused between tryouts and camps. Never mind. Cooking dinner and playing on the internet is not a good combination.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
TB jersey is fine if her name is on it. College T is always good. Any t-shirt that says "my parents are rich and mute" works good as well.

-W

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you really want to stand out wear a jersey from the schools biggest rival.....shows HUGE kahonees!!! LOL

Or, if your DD is a real stud, show up in polka-dot shorts, and shirt, sliders, and an airbrushed batting helmet and pink aluminum bat, then proceed to hit 'tape measure' home runs with the pink aluminum bat.....I PROMISE this will get you noticed!!!! If your DD is a pitcher, have her warm up like she was been playing 10U rec ball last season, then rip off a 65+MPH fastball for her first pitch.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
The camps DD has been to, they put the girls into school jerseys immediately.
They too have a product to sell, and thinking how good you look in their colors is part of the pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1