What level are we?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My rule of thumb would be:
If you're winning every ( or every other ) tourney, you need to move up.

After a tourney(s):
If you're in the top 50% of the teams entered ( consistently ), you're probably in the right class.

If you're in the bottom 50% of the teams entered ( consistently ), you're playing too high.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It sounds like you are a low B team. If you can find another solid pitcher you will quickly become a high B team. Keep pushing yourselves to get better by playing B tournaments. Here are the "baby steps" we took with my DD's team through the years. Seems to have worked out pretty well and I know a lot of parents who pushed their DD's onto a high-A team too early and they burned out or lost interest. If your DD wants to play college softball your goal should be to play high-A level ball by first year 16U when recruiting becoming the focus.

10U C-level (we were a Church league rec all-star team)
10U C-level
12U Low-B
12U Mid-B
14U high-B
14U low-A
16U high-A
16U high-A/Gold

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
it's my opinion that it may be time for your better players to begin looking at stronger teams to join in the fall.
This has been a topic of discussion as of late. Our team is going to be at a crossroads at the end of this season.
I believe, as I'm sure most dads do, that my dd and several others have the ability to play A level ball. Unfortunately, some of our families are either not able or not willing to travel more than what we do now, which is limited to about 2 hours. A few are not willing to put the work in necessary to play at a high level.
There is also another team in our area struggling for players that has several players capable of playing high level ball including that other solid pitcher we need. So there has been some talk of combining teams at the end of the season.
The big concern is what happens to the other kids/families that are happy playing at the level we currently are at. but that may be a topic for another day.

This has been a topic of discussion as of late. Our team is going to be at a crossroads at the end of this season.
I believe, as I'm sure most dads do, that my dd and several others have the ability to play A level ball. Unfortunately, some of our families are either not able or not willing to travel more than what we do now, which is limited to about 2 hours. A few are not willing to put the work in necessary to play at a high level.
There is also another team in our area struggling for players that has several players capable of playing high level ball including that other solid pitcher we need. So there has been some talk of combining teams at the end of the season.
The big concern is what happens to the other kids/families that are happy playing at the level we currently are at. but that may be a topic for another day.
Dude! This is the easiest softball problem I've seen in a long time. Identify who from the other team is of a like mind and start laying the groundwork now!

There are two teams, right? There are some who want to play at a higher level and some who want to stay. I'd try to combine the teams as soon as possible, with one staying at the current level and the other moving up. Girls from either team should still have a home and you can fill in with a tryout for each team once you see what you have.

If both teams are independent, I'd combine names if it is easy or come up with a new name and have both teams share it. You'd have a new org (we'll call it Fusion) with 12U A and 12U B teams. You could practice together and share coaching staffs once a week to help ease the transition. What could be better than that?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Dude! This is the easiest softball problem I've seen in a long time. Identify who from the other team is of a like mind and start laying the groundwork now!

There are two teams, right? There are some who want to play at a higher level and some who want to stay. I'd try to combine the teams as soon as possible, with one staying at the current level and the other moving up. Girls from either team should still have a home and you can fill in with a tryout for each team once you see what you have.

If both teams are independent, I'd combine names if it is easy or come up with a new name and have both teams share it. You'd have a new org (we'll call it Fusion) with 12U A and 12U B teams. You could practice together and share coaching staffs once a week to help ease the transition. What could be better than that?
That is exactly what my thoughts are!
Only thing that complicates is that the other team is from a large org. in our area. If we join them, then the B team will be on it's own and I fear, not make it. But one of their coaches thinks that their orgs name is the best route to college(naturally it's the pitchers dad) recruiting over our independent team name.

That is exactly what my thoughts are!
Only thing that complicates is that the other team is from a large org. in our area. If we join them, then the B team will be on it's own and I fear, not make it. But one of their coaches thinks that their orgs name is the best route to college(naturally it's the pitchers dad) recruiting over our independent team name.
See if the larger org will absorb the B team. If they are struggling for players, it makes sense.

You may have to get "creative" about fees and other things for the B team, but hopefully the folks at the big org will do what is right for the girls and come up with an equitable solution. Those girls cannot be abandoned at any cost!

Jun 1, 2013
You are second year 12u team. Move to B and replace players as needed. When you get out there and see the difference in a first year 12u compared to you guys you will want to move up for sure.

May 13, 2012
Are the girls enjoying playing and having fun both during and in between game. the team I coached for 4 yrs sounds a lot like yours. I know we were playing at the Leavel we needed to be based on our record. Like you I had players that could have moved up and players that were maxed. The one thing I know is that we enjoyed playing tournaments and had fun both on and off the field since we had very little turn over. Finally age caught up and boys intervened I started our last season with everyone knowing it would be our last. Some including my DD moved up in age and level some stayed down and a couple gave it up. Just food for thought.

Apr 1, 2010
That's all you need to say. You're playing the wrong level.

If you believe you'll be at least .300 against B teams, then it's a no-brainer. Move up now.

You might even find out you can add another pitcher by being a more attractive team (B as opposed to C), as well.

I agree; I would absolutely expect you to become much more attractive to a pitcher as a B team with only 1 legitimate starting pitcher.

Now, would you be ok if that meant your DD ended up being number 2 and are you prepared to make it clear to a newcomer that she can win that number 1 slot? Because it sounds like you're a B team that needs another pitcher rather than a true C team. I bet all those C teams you're thrashing wish you'd move up too. :-D

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I agree; I would absolutely expect you to become much more attractive to a pitcher as a B team with only 1 legitimate starting pitcher.

Now, would you be ok if that meant your DD ended up being number 2 and are you prepared to make it clear to a newcomer that she can win that number 1 slot? Because it sounds like you're a B team that needs another pitcher rather than a true C team. I bet all those C teams you're thrashing wish you'd move up too. :-D
Yes, I'ld be ok with that . I have complete competence in my dd and her work ethic. If another pitcher beat her out I believe it would push her even harder. And we would have a great duo!
What I'm not ok with is our current situation where she throws 70% of our innings beacause we don't have a second reliable pitcher.
And our catching situation is a little more difficult.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves