What level are we?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
9 times out of 10 we beat C teams in our area. If we lose it is generally because we shoot ourselves in the foot. We are prolly .850 against C teams we face. Some of those C teams consider themselves lower B teams, but I do not.

Now I'm a little confused. You say you are .500, but win 85 percent of the time vs. C-level teams. How often are you playing C-level teams? You said you're playing C to mid-B competition. If you're .850 vs. C teams, then what level of opponent is pushing you down to a .500 record? And you must not be playing C tournaments if you're .850 and not winning them.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Little angels makes a great point. In my area we only had 6 girls this fall and as teams that were advertised as A/B began getting killed at tournaments and we using 12U players were doing well we got plenty of girls to come to our team. C is usually not very advertising to parents. It's a lot of money for not very good competition.

Last year we were 35-35 overall.

0-5 vs A Lost 11-3, 6-5, 5-0, 7-6, 8-5
37-28 vs B Never won a tournament but finished 2nd 4 times. Went 0-4 twice. It's all about the level you want to be at. I'll take .500 for the year at the A/B level over winning 4 C titles against teams that aren't really above rec talent.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Sorry for the confusion. We play a mixed schedule of tournaments and pick up games. We have been very successful with our pickup games. Most of the tournaments in our immediate area are open tournaments with no classification. The sanctioned tourneys we attend are usually advertised as A/B and this is where most of our losses have come.. There are no C tournaments around here.

Jun 11, 2013
I know a lot of people look at win/loss, but to me it's competitive games. If you are losing to B teams 5-3 and are just a few mental mistakes away from winning you should play more B. If you can beat a few teams but get run ruled over and over again you are not.
To me there is nothing more fun that playing a tournament where every game is close.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Sounds like you are about right .750 locally but .500 once you venture out a little.

Keep playing C level and challenge yourself with B level tourneys every now and then.

Yes, my thoughts as well. DDs team is all first year 14u, with the exception of one second year 12u, and one second year 14u. We will play 85% 14u and jump in an occasional 16u to test the water.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Sorry for the confusion. We play a mixed schedule of tournaments and pick up games. We have been very successful with our pickup games. Most of the tournaments in our immediate area are open tournaments with no classification. The sanctioned tourneys we attend are usually advertised as A/B and this is where most of our losses have come.. There are no C tournaments around here.

OK, that helps. What I heard was that you were .500 against C to mid-B competition and that you'd not won a tournament. If you're playing a variety of teams in A/B events and going .500, then it sounds like you're a B team.

But, you are .500 and not winning tournaments, and you are not entering C tournaments, so you are not sand-bagging. Sounds like you're playing at the ''level'' you should play.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Come play us, you are only 5 hours away. I guess a 5 hour drive after a whipping is a long drive.

Just kidding, 5 minute drive is just as long.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
In 12u, the primary difference is quality pitching. With only 1 strong pitcher, I would guess you're a B team, at best. Your problem may be location, but at 2nd-year 12s, it's my opinion that it may be time for your better players to begin looking at stronger teams to join in the fall. As you move into 14s, what I've noticed - at least around here - is that the quality of play in B/C tournaments and rec ball is pretty similar. At 10u, a good rec team might be able to hang with or even beat an average TB team, but by 14s, that gap is huge.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207