What is IR?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I've heard it used around here and probably have heard what it means and why it's important, but I'm drawing a blank.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Internal rotation refers to the lateral rotation of the arm *TOWARD THE BODY* where the axis of rotation is the length of the humerus. The result of internal rotation is that after release the back of the hand is up, and the palm of the hand is down.

The baseball pitching analog is called "external rotation". In pitching, the forearm rotates when the ball is thrown so that after release, the thumb is down. The rotation in baseball pitching is away from the body, so it is called "external" rotation.

Here is Sarah Pauly throwing a fastball. Note how her arm rotates at release.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qPztyxKOGLU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2011
That is drastically different than how my DD was taught. She was taught that her hand should finish touching her right shoulder (RP). Basically coming straight up after release.

Jun 9, 2008
That is drastically different than how my DD was taught. She was taught that her hand should finish touching her right shoulder (RP). Basically coming straight up after release.

Check video on how the best finish with their arm, then decide if your daughter is being taught correctly.

Nov 1, 2008
Also search on softball.tv for bill hillhouse. Watch the clinic videos they have on there, it's broken up in 3 parts. It's very enlightening and he specifically discusses the follow through.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The touching the shoulder thing can lead to elbow problems. So in addition to not being effective for pitching it can actually cause damage too.

Another popular (and incorrect) way of teaching is turn the ball back toward third base at the top of the circle. When you do that, you tend to push the ball through the back half of the circle rather than leading with the elbow/pulling the ball down. That method limits speed and doesn't really do a whole lot for accuracy either. IR is the way to go.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thank you all for answering my question and the wealth of information! I shall contiinue to wade through it and edumacate my self.

thanks again!

Apr 1, 2011
RandomDad--your DD was taught wrong.

This thread has an enormous amount of information about IR: http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/1348-internal-rotation.html

Thanks for the feedback. Man, that's disappointing to know that she's been taught wrong. Her PC even told her that if she doesn't finish at the shoulder, that she won't be able to learn as many pitches as she gets older.

On the plus side, she's still only 8 and I've already got her set up to start with a new PC in July. The new PC is said to be the best in Tulsa. I'm assuming she'll fix this problem, but I will definitely watch for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi