How often does your DD go to lessons?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 13, 2021
We do weekly pitching and hitting lessons, luckily back to back at the same facility. We wouldn't be able to hold onto these time slots unless we committed to weekly, as both coaches have pretty long waiting lists. It's not cheap, but I've found that development with both, at least for my daughter, in many cases has involved changes that take a lot of repetition and weeks to make, and that those changes build on each other in a sequence. For this reason, a lesson every week has been really helpful and key to the development in both.

Plus, there's a really good taco place right near the lessons, so weekly tacos FTW.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
$80-$90 per hour? I wish.
Pitching lessons are $135 per hour now after the latest increase.
Hitting lessons are $100 per hour.

My daughter charges $60 per hour to give lessons to young girls. When she moves indoors, she's raising her price to $75.

Jun 18, 2023
I pay $60 for a half hour at a local place, our town had done clinics with them and a few of the older teammates went there and the results were good. They seem to be teaching the right stuff, the vibes are good. My daughter likes it.

Apr 8, 2019
$80-$90 per hour? I wish.
Pitching lessons are $135 per hour now after the latest increase.
Hitting lessons are $100 per hour.

My daughter charges $60 per hour to give lessons to young girls. When she moves indoors, she's raising her price to $75.
Hmm. I guess I'll quit complaining then. Also, why are we bothering with college when you can make as much as a dentist giving pitching lessons?

Oct 26, 2019
I must be doing lessons all wrong haha. I try to get them (the players) to a point where they don’t need me. I usually get quite a few texts on Monday after a bad hitting weekend. “we need to get him/her back with you after last weekend”. This is a failure on both my part and the players when this happens. I never want them to feel like they “need me” to fix it. It creates a bad dependency.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I've heard of kids going to lessons every week, but that seems like too much to me. Of course I'd rather not spend the crap ton of money it would take to go every week. But it also seems like a waste. It's not enough time for the player to ingrain whatever the coach is teaching.

My idea was to take a lesson whenever a problem develops or when it's time to learn something new. But I'm starting to believe thats not the way to think about it.
The idea is you go with her. Absorb the lesson and then she practices with you several times between lessons. Rinse and repeat.

Now that said my DD went to one camp and no private lessons and was fine

May 26, 2021
The more the better IMO. Would your daughter get better faster if the pitching coach was at every pitching session ever? I mean of course right? Just having someone there that knows what they’re doing and can correct correctly is huge. A bucket dad/mom is like “I think your coach wanted you to do this…” that’s just not as effective as a coach. Obviously every session is not realistic, but in this case less is not more.

Feb 25, 2022
My DD goes to a hitting coach every other week from April-November, (in season). They make minor adjustments, notice bad habits forming, strengthening the swing, etc... From December-March, every week. These sessions are used to develop larger changes/adjustments in her swing. Her coach does it this way so not to impact her swing in-season. He's $100 per lesson, hour and a half drive each way. She also goes to a strength and agility class once/week in a group setting of anywhere from 6-10 kids, $30 per session, close to home.
Both coaches stress the importance of practicing/working out between lessons.

Oct 4, 2018
My kid goes weekly and I think it's the best way to do it. I took over the pitching, but she's started hitting now. The thing about lessons is that too many people think the kid should be getting better when they aren't working during the week. Lessons are instruction. The progress is made between lessons. We've always tried to get an at-home session the day after the lesson while the instruction is still fresh, then hopefully another session or two before the next lesson.

Parents have to step-up and pay attention at lessons, ask questions, and be the coach at home or progress will be slow as mud. Getting a parent started as a catcher when the kid is very young is also a good idea. If they've never held a glove they can still catch a pitch from a 7 year old, then can progress along with the kid.

I know a kid whose parents aren't involved as much with catching or short toss or whatever, but they're willing to send her to lessons 3x per week and the kid practices every day on her own. She's a great local player, but it's cost them some $$.

Yup, we know a zillionaire family that basically outsources the parent role. They have 5 lessons per week.

Now that would be awesome, getting to practice with your instructor basically.

Girl still isn't a great player though - money can't buy everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles