What have you learned this season that might help the rest of us?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2012
California
Something that I have known for years but this year it has solidified.

Do not believe a coaches promises when he is recruiting your DD.

New TB coach's biggest lies this year: "this isn't Daddy Ball", "Every kid will earn their position". So hard for me to tell my kid to just play hard no matter what. My eye opener to this was when I asked why she's only playing 80% she says, "it doesn't matter how hard you play, he's going to do what he wants anyways". My reply..."play the game you love the way you love to play it".

Mar 18, 2012
California
I learned to do research and spend time watching practices and with coaches before committing to a team. DD's first venture into TB...she went to one tryout (we had several we thought about going to), but she wanted a team that was drooling to have her. Walk-on/no tryout. She felt like she was accepted and would have a great team behind her. This wasn't the worst experience, but its been a rough one for her. Her coach is inexperienced, doesn't get along with his AC's (who are both experienced)...and coach's the team around his daughter.

It was a setback in skills. We should've spent this year really working on tough situations and pitches. HC has never called a CU and will let DD hang herself with FBs all day against a hitting team. I had to convince DD she's here to play a sport she loves. She knows that most of the time. But it gets tiring being that one player on that one team. She gets game balls from umps on losses. Umps tell her after games, "you did your job" "you're the best pitcher I saw all day", etc...fielders just are not solid and catcher is the manager's kid. She belongs on 1st but that's my opinion.

Next team...I'm checking on the coach. Points added for no kid on the team...and I'm sticking to my rule of sitting alone. I stepped out of the dugout for A couple of reasons. One was to let dd play her game, not mine...another was to not deal with parents. Neutral always works...

Jun 12, 2012
I've learned to trust my instincts. DD's coach said all of the right things at tryouts and in discussions after, but I always had that "feeling" that his message was just a little too polished. But the team was successful, the girls were great, and DD was excited to make the team, so I ignored that little voice that said, "watch out." In the end the voice was right...HC is only concerned about protecting his DD's spot at SS and putting 8 other girls on the field that are almost as good as his daughter. Anyone who gives her a run for her money gets plenty of bench time to watch her play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12