What have you learned this season that might help the rest of us?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2011
I learned that I haven't learned a thing from this board!! Last night we had a double header with a team from Alaska, well first 2 Tournaments kid was hitting the ball pretty well. Last tournament 0 basehits but had a few SAC's. Last nights game O-Fer again with weak ground balls. Started talking on the way home (which I know better from reading on these boards), got out of hand, and I basically told her if she wasn't going to try why are you making us spend so much money.....

After about 5 min of total quiet, I pulled the car over and apologized to her, telling her I didn't want to be that kind of Father. So I guess eventually I learned to keep the big mouth shut.

I did that a few weeks ago. Big, big mistake. I think it finally got me to realize how stupid I was acting and how it really does nothing good whatsoever. The new "zip-lipped" coaching technique is working out a lot better.

Apr 15, 2012
I have learned that I can say anything I please from deep LF or RF
outside the fence while I sit all by myself:)

I learned that when DD is ready to overcome her fear of getting hit in the batter box, it will be on her time only. I also learned after coaching a young 10u rec league team this year, I am better off behind the fence in deep LF or RF instead of the bleachers.

Jan 25, 2011
I learned that it's is only a game,but your relationship with your child is forever.Emily didn't play one inning this year,because of her accident.We both miss it,but every morning my Emily wakes,and gets to see another day.I feel that ,I am the most blessed man on gods creation.We go and practice pitching and Emily hits off a tee and we laugh,joke and enjoy the time doing what we both love.You ask what you learned to help the rest of us?We are only given borrowed time in the life's of are children.Use it wisely.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
I learned that I'm a much better coach when my team scores lots of runs. So at practice we spend much more time on offense. When we're scoring I can relax, take chances without worrying too much about the consequences, which in turn allows the players to relax as well. We still work on defense, just not equally.

Nov 29, 2009
Hard to believe it but kids in HS and MS school do not want to hang out with a girl in elementary school. Not sure what I have learned from this.

The kids don't have to hang out together. But they do have to respect each other. That's what I tell my teams. They don't have to be BFF's but they are forbidden to disrespect a teammate on or off the field. No Facebook, Twitter or any other social network
nonsense will be tolerated.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I've learned from this DFP that I've made mistakes, like most parents.Like most parents I was unaware that I was making mistakes. I learned that what I thought was ok to do was a mistakes.I've learned to stop making those mistakes.I've learned that my DD enjoys the game more.I will keep on learning.

Oct 10, 2011
I've learned that researching the team you are looking at is extremely important. We were starry eyed when my daughter made this A-level team with a high ranking, and we didn't ask many questions. Now we know that the coaches have not gotten along for over a year, have had physical confrontations, members have quit, the head coach quit, and many families don't talk to each other. It's amazing though that the girls get on the field and have a blast.

Dec 11, 2010
I have two girls playing on two very different teams. Some I learned from my own actions some I learned from watching other parents, especially parents from poorly coached teams. I think I knew this stuff before but it became crystal clear this summer. One of the worst things a parent can do is "try to help" during the game.

During games:
If it isn't positive, don't say it.
Quit coaching your kid from the stands. It won't work and the kid loses focus which is worst thing that can happen.
Quit coaching your kid from the stands. You probably are telling the kid something different than the coach is.
Just because you yell at your kid doesn't mean you can yell at my kid.
Yelling at your kid affects every kid on the team.
If you yell at my kid long enough I will lose patience and pay you a polite visit during the game. Yes, it works.
If your kid needs pointers on form during game, it is too late. Whether you are a coach or a parent, don't bug the kid when she's in the box. It won't work. Wait for practice.
Don't rag your kid for missing a grounder or whatever. It will only cause more errors. It won't work to yell at them.
Boys and girls are different. Boys have fun when they are winning, girls win when they are having fun.
Attitude during game is critical. It HAS to be positive.
Try to catch your kid doing something right, don't try to catch your kid doing something wrong.
If you are frustrated, be quiet and take a walk.
It's just a softball game.
Your kid is going to have bad games. Don't make a big deal out of it. Tomorrow is a new day, all is not lost because of one game, day or weekend.
THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS BE QUIET AND WATCH THE GAME.

During practice
NOW is the time to work on deficiencies.

General
Support the coaches. Don't dog talk the coaches, especially in the presence of players. Your kid must have confidence in the coaches. If your kid does not have confidence her performance will drop. If you have experienced coaches, they will figure out that you are dog talking them to the kids quickly.
Get along with the other parents, they are like a second family.
If things aren't going well, give the kid a break from softball. My daughter was in a hitting slump when she went on a week long school trip. Came back after a week and has never hit the ball better.
Sometimes less is more.
Your kid should compete with other teams not team mates.
It's just softball. Keep some perspective.

You can tell a lot about the other team by listening to the parents. The best teams have parents that are eerily quiet.

Both my girls have coaches that believe in moving the girls around so they learn multiple positions. One daughter has played every position but catcher, other has played every infield position (no speed for OF.) That is a huge plus. Both my girls have grown so much from that experience. Previously I thought that permanent positions made better players.

Softball is a lifestyle during summer. As a family it will either make you all closer or it will destroy it. You better monitor it and decide which way it is going. If you can't make it work for your family, don't do it. It's just softball.

I learned that you can't always guess what an experienced coach is trying to do. Don't try to guess, just go with it. If you know you have an experienced coach and he has a proven track record, trust him. He is smarter than 99% of the parents, (that's you and me), who are learning the game because they have a daughter playing it.

Mostly, I learned how lucky I am to have great coaches for my two girls! And have mostly awesome parents to hang out with!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30