What have you learned this season that might help the rest of us?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2011
I have learned that the best way for me to coach my kid is to shut my mouth and let her do the talking. If she continues to struggle, she will ask what she is doing wrong mechanically. Truth is, she has the same recurring issues, and already knows the answers. About all that happens when we rehash it is frustration and anger going both ways. After reading another thread in this forum, I have decided to keep my mouth shut UNLESS there is an issue with effort or attitude. Not surprisingly, since I have shut my big mouth, I haven't had any effort or attitude issues. We still have the mechanical issues, but I'm seeing a much more relaxed kid that is having fun. I think that is the best first step towards progress.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
11YOA DD has figured out how to run bases this year, she has always had trouble tagging up. She just wants to run even though she knows she is wrong after the fact. If nothing else she is doing a great job at this. She was on 2nd with a runner on 1st and tried to slide under the 3rd baseperson because she was not on the bag for a force out.

I learned early on, and her HCs have to, to ask her questions opposed to yelling at her.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I have learned that I can say anything I please from deep LF or RF
outside the fence while I sit all by myself:)
Yes, I think this is the greatest lesson I have learned this year. The games are much less stressful just outside the outfield fence. I get more stressed out listening to the other parents.
Gosh, I have learned so much this season! I bet I have grown as much as dd has. Really funny thing is I have learned a lot of things that make me a better person(not just dd), you know, the life lesson kinda stuff. And I would say that this site has been my greatest resource.
Oh, yeah and I have learned countless mechanical and mental lessons. Especially about IR. So glad we caught on to that early.(I'm even passing a lot of that down to our rec. league).

Mar 15, 2011
My DD is 16 and has been a pitcher for several years. Last year she was doing well, so well that the (booster club president) dad of an older pitcher, seeing his DDs innings drop, successfully put pressure on the coach and got his DD innings that she didn't deserve, and basically ran the coach out of town. Going into this season the table was set for my DD to do some great things. The new coach has a spine and told us at the outset that he was not going to allow that to happen again this season. It was all coming together when she got hurt during TB practice and didn't play an inning all the HS season. She also was forced to drop out of her travel team since she can't pitch.

Her injury is a stress fracture called spondylolsis in her L5 vertebrae. She is in PT and has been cleared to play but no pitching or RH batting as the trunk rotation involved will aggrevate her injury. Last week she got on the field for the first time this year. She played LF and is learning to bat left handed. Laid down a couple of nice bunts but she's still a bit slow and couldn't quite beat out the throws to 1B.

The joy on her face as she went out on the field showed me that all she wants do do is play. She is a very good pitcher but that might be gone now. Having a star pitcher isn't important to me anymore, her love of the game is what matters.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Something that I have known for years but this year it has solidified.

Do not believe a coaches promises when he is recruiting your DD.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've learned its much easier coaching from the bleachers than it was from the dugout.

I've learned that parents probably talked about me the same way they talk with me now about the coaches in the dugout.

I've learned now I have to go get my own drinks from the concession stand. :(

I've learned I was the only coach who never made mistakes. :)

Jun 12, 2012
I have learned that I can say anything I please from deep LF or RF
outside the fence while I sit all by myself:)

This is where DH watches games too! Other parents ask why we don't sit together at games. It's because I've learned we're much happier after the games if I can't hear him either.

"Do not believe a coaches promises when he is recruiting your DD."

A similar situation: We learned that when your daughter signs with a school and the coach leaves, and the new coach has ZERO experience as a head coach, it is should be a big red flag!

Has anyone ever heard of a coach withholding scholarship money from an entire team during the fall semester and only dispersing it during the spring ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying