What have you learned this season that might help the rest of us?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2010
That for the most part kids just want to play the game and be with friends, winning is a bonus.

Rec ball has replaced a bunch of kids getting together at the park to play ball, like we did as kids. Let them play, make decisions and make mistakes, that's how they learn. Yelling throw it here, do this, watch this and all the other things coaches say while play is going on usually makes it worse not better. Coaches and parents create most of the problems.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I've learned that "Have fun" is the last thing (and often the only thing) I should say to my DD before she plays.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I learned that I haven't learned a thing from this board!! Last night we had a double header with a team from Alaska, well first 2 Tournaments kid was hitting the ball pretty well. Last tournament 0 basehits but had a few SAC's. Last nights game O-Fer again with weak ground balls. Started talking on the way home (which I know better from reading on these boards), got out of hand, and I basically told her if she wasn't going to try why are you making us spend so much money.....

After about 5 min of total quiet, I pulled the car over and apologized to her, telling her I didn't want to be that kind of Father. So I guess eventually I learned to keep the big mouth shut.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I learned that I haven't learned a thing from this board!! Last night we had a double header with a team from Alaska, well first 2 Tournaments kid was hitting the ball pretty well. Last tournament 0 basehits but had a few SAC's. Last nights game O-Fer again with weak ground balls. Started talking on the way home (which I know better from reading on these boards), got out of hand, and I basically told her if she wasn't going to try why are you making us spend so much money.....

After about 5 min of total quiet, I pulled the car over and apologized to her, telling her I didn't want to be that kind of Father. So I guess eventually I learned to keep the big mouth shut.

..and taught her what owning your mistakes looks like, and that you're never too old to grow some more.

Oct 25, 2009
That for the most part kids just want to play the game and be with friends, winning is a bonus.

Rec ball has replaced a bunch of kids getting together at the park to play ball, like we did as kids. Let them play, make decisions and make mistakes, that's how they learn. Yelling throw it here, do this, watch this and all the other things coaches say while play is going on usually makes it worse not better. Coaches and parents create most of the problems.

That's kind of like saying "marriage is the leading cause of divorce."

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In my opinion DD is our clubs best P under 12U and might be able to pitch on the club’s 14U Teams but there are already some social issues with her current Team. Hard to believe it but kids in HS and MS school do not want to hang out with a girl in elementary school. Not sure what I have learned from this.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In my opinion DD is our clubs best P under 12U and might be able to pitch on the club’s 14U Teams but there are already some social issues with her current Team. Hard to believe it but kids in HS and MS school do not want to hang out with a girl in elementary school. Not sure what I have learned from this.

And you don't want an elementary kid hanging with some HS age girls. They may be our kids, sweet on the outside, and sweet around adults, but some get a little wild. My DD will tell me stories about what such n such did or is doing, I'm like "you gotta be kidding". Same things most of us did in high school, that you DON'T want your kids to find out.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
I've learned if my kid is hitting the ball she is having fun. The last thing she wants to hear is have fun before an at bat or for me to tell her to "hit it hard" basically if I leave her alone, she hits the ball and well then she is having fun.

I also like the you can say anything you want from deep R or L field....must try that.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I learned that life can change your idea of what is important. And frankly softball isn't nearly that important anymore. Enjoy it, love it, but its not the end all be all that I thought it was.

Apr 15, 2012
I've learned that TB can consume your lives. So our family has learned to embrace it and enjoy it. We consider it taking a whole bunch of mini vacations. I've learned that TB has actually brought our family closer together. I've learned my older DD (12 and not into sports at all) is turning out to be a great sports photographer and videographer. She loves taking pics of younger sister while she plays ball. And most importantly, I"ve learned I can't be anywhere near DW during games! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30