What exactly qualifies a pitcher as 'Elite'?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
That is a really hard call. I often wondered if Gascoigne was better. It hard to argue with 72 MPH. But Gascoigne was awesome. Both elite, but one was underappreciated. I would not be surprised if she is more effective in NPF than Ricketts.

I think stats go out the window when you step in to the box to face Ricketts. Just sayin...

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
I feel somewhat intimidated posting on the same thread as Hal but hear goes. First of all I think an elite is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen teams in our area with the self awarded title of " Elite whatever ". I could never figured out what made that team elite. IMHO I would offer that a pitcher would be considered " Elite " if it was by acclimation. What I mean is a college all american pitcher could be considered as elite. Any pitcher that has been selected to pitch on a professional SB team would qualify. There will always be pitchers that have better qualities than the ones I mentioned but have not been recognize, not much you can do about that.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think stats went out the door the year Langenfeld led UCLA to the title. She achieved "elite" by will.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
That is a really hard call. I often wondered if Gascoigne was better. It hard to argue with 72 MPH. But Gascoigne was awesome. Both elite, but one was underappreciated. I would not be surprised if she is more effective in NPF than Ricketts.

Dittos with JJ here

Jul 10, 2013
There has been a couple maybe you have heard of them, Fernandez, Finch ( in there prime ) and I think we maybe adding another soon

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
this thread needs a dose of contention-I'll start. Finch was and is overrated and gets a little "hot chick" boost. She was a very, very good pitcher but she seems to be on a little bit of a pedestal. There, I said it. let the acrimony fly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish