What do HS stats really tell us (imho)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Has anyone had a kid who was asked by a college recruiter what their "stats" were? I mean, they ask about pitch speed, run speed, bat speed, exit speed, revfire spin speeds. . . but I've never heard of one asked "what's your HS batting average" or "what is your HS ERA?".

I'm curious.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Guess I'll answer this one since it's only been 4 days ago we spoke to a D1 coach. Yes, we were asked what's your HS era along with strikeouts to innings, win loss record, and BA. I think those are pretty standard questions, even more if they are asked DURING the HS season.*

Also asked the standard what pitches do you have and what is your best pitch.*

Then the normal personal and academic questions.*

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
From: Cat Osterman Experience: College Recruiting Tips for High School Student-Athletes

Tip#4 - Send Information - Too many student-athletes mistakenly think "If I'm good, someone will find me". Don't make this mistake! Guess What? College coaches can't recruit you if they don't know you exist. Put together a video, if possible, and send it to programs of your choice along with an athletic "resume" highlighting your achievements. Include stats, awards, high school transcripts, information on SAT/ACT scores, and letters of recommendation from coaches and teachers. Don't forget your contact information!

HS stats are in most softball and baseball pitchers bio's ( please don't make me post them all )
JennieFinch

Player Bio: Monica Abbott University of Tennessee Athletics

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Without background information, you never know about stats because they are GIGO - either good in, good out OR garbage in, garbage out. I can't envision a college coach, who's job depends on their team's performance, ever end up having to ask one of their recruits "How come you're hitting 500 points below your HS BA and pitching at 5 runs above your HS ERA?". A coach may decide to see a player based on stats, but how many actively recruit or offer a player without a first-hand look or trusted colleague's recommendation?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Now I never said your going to sign sight unseen by HS stats only. I think we can all agree on that.*

Now in our situation the college coach already knows we entered the largest and probably most difficult HS tournament in the southeast ( except for Florida, I hear they have a great one too ). And I think high schools that run the circuit like that, the stats mean more than some school in rural Iowa who plays 15 games a season within 10 miles of each other and the scores are 20-25.*

Maybe the college is looking at another pitcher or two who plays in tournaments, and comparing stats.*

Maybe she already knew our stats and it was an honesty test.*

Never the less the question was asked about HS stats, how much of an impact it had/has I can't give you an answer.*

I do understand our situation with the HS playing these tourneys is not the norm of the other 90% in the country. Therefore we may have a different view than most.*

Obviously HS has some level of measure, or the college wouldn't come all the way to watch DD pitch in the playoffs.*

Mar 11, 2009
Out west it seems that most all college recruiting is based on Club ball(16u and 18u gold showcase results) not high school ball. But what I find funny is when you look at a college kids profiles it mentions all the inflated numbers and accomplishments from high school ball, and not a lot from club...

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Any games, any stats worth mention........

A great quote.......

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Jul 26, 2010
Out west it seems that most all college recruiting is based on Club ball(16u and 18u gold showcase results) not high school ball. But what I find funny is when you look at a college kids profiles it mentions all the inflated numbers and accomplishments from high school ball, and not a lot from club...

High Schools are public entities. Club ball are private businesses. It is out of line for colleges to give publicity and/or credit to these private businesses.

It's not just softball. Baseball, track, basketball, volleyball, soccer. . . all of these sports are much more competitive in the club/travel circuits then they are in high school play, and all of the great college athletes you watch on TV playing for their colleges played for private clubs, even though their 2 minute ESPN bio's might mention their high school or whatever crummy neighborhood they might have lived near to incite some drama in their reality-tv watching audience. Despite those surroundings, the kids were playing club ball.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The exciting and enticing part of HS sports is at the local "pride" level. It is up to you to work with what you have and push it to it's maximum efficiency. Very few things rally a community together like a winning athletic program. That's our sons and daughters, our neighbors and friends.*

We play TB, and for an average funded A class team we have done extremely well over the years.*

Now, if I had unlimited resources and cash I could build a team that would win Nationals and the Premier. I've said this before, I've coached in tourneys that Gold teams flew in a pitcher and or catcher for the weekend. My own nephews BB team would fly in a pitcher from FL and WV for national tournaments.*

That's the "buy a title" you can't get with HS ball. That's what separates the two entities.*

Jul 7, 2011
Love your quote! Who said "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles......"
I couldn't agree more with your observation of the local pride as our community is seeing that with our softball team right now. As our other school sports seem to be on the decline and we see no pitcher coming up in the ranks behind our starter, our team has secured the top spot and can lose their next two games and still stay ranked #1. It's exciting for our small community. We're getting good crowds at our games and it's just flat out fun now! And I give high school coaches a ton of credit! They may have a few players that play TB but a majority of our team, after the season is over, won't play softball again until next high school season. With 2 short weeks to get ready for the first game, they have to do the best with what they have. Hats off to these coaches!

I had this conversation with Doe Denmon and her response was, sure they look at stats, but the video is what brings them to the games. I think the biggest mistakes players make is expecting their coaches to make those initial contacts and putting too much value in their stats. A perfect example is a particular player in our division has recently gotten a huge confidence boost, and that's great! All players need that in their career. She was posting all over FB how she was better than .500 in last 4-5 games. Knowing the pitching on these teams, yeah, she should be! She was on the opposing team in our game last night and went 0x3 because our pitcher has amazing movement.

Goingdeep hit the nail on the head in all regards, HS and TB! Our TB pitching coach played on a Gold team in IN that flew players in from FL & CA, all landed in D1 schools, even the non-starters. That was in the days of $1.14/gallon gas.
Thank you for sharing your perspective!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse