What Creates Speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
you seem to be saying
Regarding the wrist snap, I believe that consciously trying to snap the wrist is not only a waste of time but will actually make you slower. That doesn't mean the wrist snap isn't important - it is. But it's important in the sense that it needs to be fast, and executed with a great deal of suddeness. That requires keeping it loose so the other parts of the arm can create its speed.

Think of it this way: I think we'd all agree that keeping the wrist stiff, or holding it "cupped" so it can't move, will produce the least speed. After that would come using the puny wrist muscles to try to move it. You just can't move it that fast consciously. But if you keep it loose, and get the upper arm to slow down so the lower arm can whip by, that violent whipping motion will create the fastest (and thus most beneficial) wrist snap.

You seem to be saying it doesn't increase speed, but it does increase speed.

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Not at all. From my experience, using it the way some people do -- consciously trying to snap it -- hurts speed. Relaxing it and allowing it to happen on its own does increase speed.

It makes little sense to me to stand still and work on the wrist snap by itself. It's part of a chain and can't be separated from the chain for speed.

Jan 27, 2010
I understand completely what you are saying and agree with you. I said in my previous post, speed can be generated from wrist snap and from what you have posted you also agree.I have not posted anything prior about forcing a wrist snap. I have students relax the wrist and have them stop the forearm with the other hand during a shortened downswing and see how it propels the loose relaxed wrist forward from the sudden stopping of the forearm.(resistance)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
Fingers - When you honestly think about throwing overhand, does the fingers peeling off the ball happen first or the wrist snap?

Fingers peeling off the ball happens first, the wrist snap is the follow through and the ball is already out of your hand!

So many pitchers I work with have their fingers under the ball because they try to snap their wrist to release the pitch instead of using their fingers & wrist in coordination with each other. Snap your wrist then release the ball, see what happens, it will go straight down if over hand throwing or up in the air when pitching windmill (underhand). Think of shooting a basketball, to get the spin it is the fingers peeling off of the ball.

Faster ball spin, faster speed of pitch and so forth. There are many other contributing factors, but this is one issue I have a really difficult time reading about or hearing a coach going "Wrist Snap". No, we should be saying - "Finger Snap/Peel" Last finger to touch the ball before released for a regular fastball should be the middle finger. (This is for a beginner pitcher) We can then learn to use pressure of our fingers to cause different movements with the ball.

Speed is great but Ball Movement is even greater, and if you can effectively control and combine these two, a pitcher can become a dominating force. (Throw the ball at 50 mph every pitch - ball is going to get hit.... Throw the ball at 47mph, 52mph, 50mph, 46mph, 50mph etc.... and have those balls drop, rise, turn and curve and that is how a pitcher can dominate a game...)

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
Response to A pitcher is not going to dominate at 52mph

52mph could be dominating for 12U and even 14U. It can be 64mph, 59mph, 57mph, 63mph etc...

The point is, movement and speed changes whether the girl throws 40mph or 70mph as her fastest speed.

And a 52mph can be dominating if she moves the ball and uses speed adjustments....

It just depends on her competition and their abilities at the plate.

It was a point not a standard, since there is no standard on speed, only that some think speed is everything and lack focus on control and movement which is a mistake in my own opinion.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Simple Geometry

I aplogize if this has been addressed, but I did not go through the multitude of posts already posted.

Rather than go over all the things that contribute to speed, I will share something that I do with all my pitchers, regardless of ability. Measure their arms from the shoulder to the palm. Calculate the optimal circle and demonstrate the impact on speed when the pitcher does not optimize the circle. You will be amazed how much speed is lost when a pitcher does not optimize the rotation. It easily can be a loss of 10-15% off the top end with bad mechanics. Or simply, a pitcher with the potential for 60MPH could be throwing in the mid 50's with poor mechanics, all other things being equal.

A simple way to demonstrate this is to have them hold a ball in their hand with their arm fully extended. Have them rotate in small circles and try to throw the ball to you. Starting with a diameter of about a foot, even the strongest pitcher will not be able to throw the ball much farther than a few feet. Have them increase the circle diameter gradually to see the impact (make sure you back up accordingly as not to get surprised as the ball will take off commensurate with the diameter).

Another drill I do to illustrate the point is a simple game of crack the whip. This illustrates that it does not take a lot of rotation at the shoulder to create tremendous speed. I become the pivot point and rotate very slowly (or so it seems). Then you take the hand of the first girl and have her run around you, followed by several others. By the time the fifth girl joins in, she cannot keep up any longer. The point again is that the pivot point did not speed up. The only thing that changed was the distance from the pivot point, illustrating that good mechanics and opitimzing the circle may be as important as anything else you do. It also drives home a positive message that you can increase your speed and good methods overcome unfulfilled potential.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32