What Creates Speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2009
I would appreciate any help with this basic pitching question. I have followed this forum for a while, and am very impressed with the quality of the advice from the members.

From what I can figure out from this forum and my own observations, arm speed is probably the #1 contributor to ball speed. Another major contributor is lower body explosiveness (the leap), which is abruptly stopped, leading to a "chain reaction" resulting in arm whip. Internal rotation is also a significant contributor. Wrist snap is apparently not a significant contributor.

Is this about right, or am I missing something?

I have also read posts stating that genetics are improtant. How so?
Is arm/shoulder strength an important contributor to speed (one post suggested rowing exercises)?

It is fairly easy for me to understand why the taller pitchers like Monica Abbott and Jenny Finch might have an advantage in generating ball speed. It also seems logical that pitchers with more athletic builds (like the pitchers in the last 2 college world series championships) would throw harder - although I'm not sure how "strong" translates into "fast." It is harder for me to understand what forces are at work that allow a pitcher of average height (and slight build) like an Angela Tincher to throw 70mph.

I'm obviously not a pitching coach - I'm just a dad trying to figure this stuff out. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

David

Jan 27, 2010
I would appreciate any help with this basic pitching question. I have followed this forum for a while, and am very impressed with the quality of the advice from the members.

From what I can figure out from this forum and my own observations, arm speed is probably the #1 contributor to ball speed. Another major contributor is lower body explosiveness (the leap), which is abruptly stopped, leading to a "chain reaction" resulting in arm whip. Internal rotation is also a significant contributor. Wrist snap is apparently not a significant contributor.

Is this about right, or am I missing something?

I have also read posts stating that genetics are improtant. How so?
Is arm/shoulder strength an important contributor to speed (one post suggested rowing exercises)?

It is fairly easy for me to understand why the taller pitchers like Monica Abbott and Jenny Finch might have an advantage in generating ball speed. It also seems logical that pitchers with more athletic builds (like the pitchers in the last 2 college world series championships) would throw harder - although I'm not sure how "strong" translates into "fast." It is harder for me to understand what forces are at work that allow a pitcher of average height (and slight build) like an Angela Tincher to throw 70mph.

I'm obviously not a pitching coach - I'm just a dad trying to figure this stuff out. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

David
The short answer to your question is genetics. There are many with the stature of Ueno,but few will ever be able to reach the speeds she does . Finch and Tincher are strong lean and quick. Fernandez is strength and quickness.All have sound mechanics and strong work ethic to have reached their potential. Swimming is also a good exercise to strengthen the lat muscles and trunk of your body.Overload/Underload is a good drill to develop both.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In the last couple of years, people have been focusing on the "fascia". The fascia is "rubbery gunk" located under the skin that encases the muscles and bones. Recent studies are suggesting that the fascia, and not the muscles, is the stuff that actually is activated during baseball pitching--which is why "big muscles" doesn't necessarily mean "fast pitching". The fascia is a webbing of criss-crossing elastic fibers and strands connected around the bones. The October, 2009, issue of Men's Health (p. 142) discusses the fascia in more detail.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
IMO for most pitchers, speed is created by proper pitching mechanics, tons of practice, strong core, arm and shoulder flexibility, focus and attitude all play a role. I don't place as much emphasis on genetics ("naturally gifted athlete") as some on this site, however I do agree that a longer body and arms (arm circle) can produce a faster pitch than a short arm circle. I wouldn't discount wrist snap. Try to throw overhand without snapping the wrist, do you think the throw is faster with or without a snap of the wrist? Last point is speed isnt everything: command of the pitch; location; changing of speed, and movement are all very important.

Jan 27, 2010
IMO for most pitchers, speed is created by proper pitching mechanics, tons of practice, strong core, arm and shoulder flexibility, focus and attitude all play a role. I don't place as much emphasis on genetics ("naturally gifted athlete") as some on this site, however I do agree that a longer body and arms (arm circle) can produce a faster pitch than a short arm circle. I wouldn't discount wrist snap. Try to throw overhand without snapping the wrist, do you think the throw is faster with or without a snap of the wrist? Last point is speed isnt everything: command of the pitch; location; changing of speed, and movement are all very important.

I believe you may have endorsed what I posted. Long bodies and long arms are genetic.Also, quick-twitch or some call fast- twitch muscles are also genetic as with Ueno and her not so long arms and body.I've seen many pitchers that have proper mechanics,practice tons that cannot come close to others who have natural ability. Strong core, arm and shoulder flexibility are also from genetics. I also agree with you how some discount the wrist snap.

Jan 27, 2010

I would like to clarify that I don't discount the value of hard work, proper mechanics and the mental aspects of pitching. I do believe to be the best you can be all the above are vital. I've seen girls with little natural ability become very good pitchers. Your last point you make is so true. I don't know if you remember Kristen Schmidt from LSU but she is perfect example of your last point. She was never one to blow it by the hitters, but she surely kept them guessing and off balance.

Jul 6, 2009
Thanks for the replies - they are very helpful.

My DD is 13, and has been learning to pitch over the last year or so. Her objective isn't a college scholarship, she just wants to be good enough to play travel ball at this point. We're not really fixated on speed, but it looks like there is a minimum speed required to be an effective pitcher at this age. My guess is that a cruising speed of around 50 mph would do it around here.

We have access to a new Jugs gun, so I check her speed from time to time - she cruises (averages) at 46 mph, but it is always perplexing for me to see her pitch a sequence like she did last night - 44, 48, 46, 55, 44, 52, 43, 45. It is a normal occurence for me to see pitching speeds from the low/mid 40s to the mid 50s in the same pitching session. I can only guess that because we are working on so many issues related to her mechanics, sometimes it will all click - and sometimes it won't.

I fully appreciate that effective pitching requires the ability to change speed and change planes, but right now we're focused on achieving a minimum acceptable baseline of speed before we get into the finer points.

May 7, 2008
DFW
David,

Consistency comes with sound mechanics. That is both in accuracy and speed. The other thing that I think has been left out of this post up to this point is strength development. Even in young pitchers. They dont have to lift weights but they can do band work and various exercises to help them develop stronger core and overall body fitness levels. Push ups are one of my favorite exercises for upper body development. Lunges for legs as well as bungee cord work. There are a ton of core development exercises that can improve them.

I have had several ex gymnast come to me at a very young age and when these girls come in they are all strong. They didnt get that way lifting weights and all of them are small in stature. But they will throw the ball faster than many others older than them. All that work they did in the gym with tumbles, rolls, and dance routines made them much stronger. None of them lifted weights. It boils down to how hard is your daughter willing to DO THE WORK. (That is hanging up on the wall of my place right now)

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I believe you may have endorsed what I posted. Long bodies and long arms are genetic.Also, quick-twitch or some call fast- twitch muscles are also genetic as with Ueno and her not so long arms and body.I've seen many pitchers that have proper mechanics,practice tons that cannot come close to others who have natural ability. Strong core, arm and shoulder flexibility are also from genetics. I also agree with you how some discount the wrist snap.

I put genetics way down on my list of things that are important for generating speed. When I mentioned "strong core, arm, and flexibility" I was talking about conditioning to achive these factors not something you are born with. Whether or not someone is a "gifted athlete" or genetically superior is almost irrelevant to this post. Our DD's bodies are what they are, I am interested in how do we take what they have been given and optimize their performance. You acheive that with proper mechanics, lots of practice, trial and error, conditioning, great attitude to want to get better, and continuing to perfect your craft. When I mentioned "longer arm circle" I mean, all things being equal, longer arms can help with speed, but there are too many other factors that contribute to ball speed to chalk it up to genetics. 100% agree with ifubuildit's post.

Jan 12, 2010
I put genetics way down on my list of things that are important for generating speed. When I mentioned "strong core, arm, and flexibility" I was talking about conditioning to achive these factors not something you are born with. Whether or not someone is a "gifted athlete" or genetically superior is almost irrelevant to this post. Our DD's bodies are what they are, I am interested in how do we take what they have been given and optimize their performance. You acheive that with proper mechanics, lots of practice, trial and error, conditioning, great attitude to want to get better, and continuing to perfect your craft. When I mentioned "longer arm circle" I mean, all things being equal, longer arms can help with speed, but there are too many other factors that contribute to ball speed to chalk it up to genetics. 100% agree with ifubuildit's post.

It's all of the above. I'll use the phrase "star pitcher" to equate to a pitcher who can reach great speeds and pitch effectively doing so. I'm not using it to say speed is the only or most important factor. With that said, some kids are never going to become star pitchers who can throw with incredible speed no matter how hard they work because they don't have the genetic make-up to do so. They may find improvement from where they started and become good high school pitchers, etc., but it will not be enough to get them to the next level. On the other hand, a genetically gifted kid will never be able to become a star pitcher without proper mechanics, training, lots of practice, the right attitude, conditioning, etc. Not everyone who wants to become a pitcher is going to become a superstar. It doesn't mean they can't get better, have fun, and find some level of success. But to be great, it takes all of the above, and genetics (in my opinion) is not way down on the list. It's the only variable on the list that you have no control over.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes