What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Then explain Ruth.... he's reacting to the force on the front foot but he's not extending his leg so it's not a reaction? Likewise, when I walk, I'm not actively extending my legs, they're just reacting to the force created by the prior step.... the foot striking the ground naturally causes the leg to straighten? Certainly you don't mean that?
Ruth hasn't launched yet hence their is minimal ground reaction force created hence no straightening of the front leg. You want to land with a "soft front leg" which then straightens after launch.
LlMX6Ah.gif

8KN5Xeh.gif

On the other hand, here is a hitter (with a lousy instructor) who actively straightens her front leg as she moves out:

Walking and swinging are not the same thing.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017
[SomiiveQUOTE="rdbass, post: 527545, member: 2269"]
11388-0be0c2afa3427005f0ca2e54827780d7.jpg

How did Harper get onto/into his front leg?
giphy.gif

Create this 'Torsion spring'
PujolsAxisSpring.gif

Then you will know what it feels like to have the rear leg as the 'driver'.
giphy.gif

But he hasn't swung yet and his back leg is off the ground. The bat is still behind him. It looks like this is where the swing begins.
[/QUOTE]
The part you clearly don't understand is he has already swung the bat at that point!

Sep 17, 2009
It is fair to say that the rear leg (in a good swing) starts the rotation. You'll see many hitters begin to open up (their still-coiled torso/hips) before their front leg is fully weighted. It is also fair to say the front leg has a role in finishing rotation. But many would say, and I'd agree, that the force creation, which is most important, is over before the front leg does its job. Ie, it isn't the driver. My two cents.

The fact that Harper's bat is 'behind him' doesn't mean it hasn't been launched. In fact, many would argue a good swing is launched rearward.

Sep 7, 2017
If that is where your swing begins in your mind you have no idea what it feels like to be in that position. The handle has been torqued well before that lag position.

Bobby you have a lot to learn!

Jul 29, 2013
Ruth hasn't launched yet hence their is minimal ground reaction force created hence no straightening of the front leg. You want to land with a "soft front leg" which then straightens after launch.
LlMX6Ah.gif

8KN5Xeh.gif

On the other hand, here is a hitter (with a lousy instructor) who actively straightens her front leg as she moves out:

Walking and swinging are not the same thing.

I have a problem with your saying the front leg straightening is a reaction. I say it is THE action. Everything that happens prior to the front leg straightening is for nought if that doesn't happen. In fact, rather than spend so much time focused on the rear leg, you'll find that more focus on the front leg will result in more powerful swings.

Jul 29, 2013
If that is where your swing begins in your mind you have no idea what it feels like to be in that position. The handle has been torqued well before that lag position.

Bobby you have a lot to learn!
So if he stops there it's a swing?

Jul 29, 2013
It is fair to say that the rear leg (in a good swing) starts the rotation. You'll see many hitters begin to open up (their still-coiled torso/hips) before their front leg is fully weighted. It is also fair to say the front leg has a role in finishing rotation. But many would say, and I'd agree, that the force creation, which is most important, is over before the front leg does its job. Ie, it isn't the driver. My two cents.

The fact that Harper's bat is 'behind him' doesn't mean it hasn't been launched. In fact, many would argue a good swing is launched rearward.
The rear leg motions serve to load the front leg. Like the downward movement before you jump helps you jump higher but you still need to forcefully extend your legs or you never get off the ground. Spend some focus on driving the front hip rearward via extension of the front leg and watch the instant power it generates.
Alternatively, launch from your back leg and pitchers will own you with off speed junk.

Jul 29, 2013

What's interesting to me is that the motion of the rear leg that starts the rotation of the hips isn't an inward coil rather it's the outward rotation of the rear leg that rotates the hips (turns the pelvis) Watch the back knee turn slightly toward the catcher the instant the forward move starts. Thats the slack being taken out as the rear leg is outwardly turned but is still captured by the ground.

Jun 8, 2016
I have a problem with your saying the front leg straightening is a reaction. I say it is THE action. Everything that happens prior to the front leg straightening is for nought if that doesn't happen. In fact, rather than spend so much time focused on the rear leg, you'll find that more focus on the front leg will result in more powerful swings.
You don't actively do anything with the front leg, in particular before it hits the ground for a kid who strides. It's behavior is the result of good actions upstream. Am I to assume you are advocating for one to push into the ground with the front leg?

Jul 29, 2013

What's interesting to me is that the motion of the rear leg that starts the rotation of the hips isn't an inward coil rather it's the outward rotation of the rear leg that rotates the hips (turns the pelvis) Watch the back knee turn slightly toward the catcher the instant the forward move starts. Thats the slack being taken out as the rear leg is outwardly turned but is still captured by the ground.
You don't actively do anything with the front leg, in particular before it hits the ground for a kid who strides. It's behavior is the result of good actions upstream. Am I to assume you are advocating for one to push into the ground with the front leg?
Bingo! Until and unless that happens, you're just building energy. If the front leg collapses, the energy goes away. Active extension of the front leg transfers the energy upstream and is a great source of power. It's not a reaction, it's THE action.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13