What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Bingo! Until and unless that happens, you're just building energy. If the front leg collapses, the energy goes away. Active extension of the front leg transfers the energy upstream and is a great source of power. It's not a reaction, it's THE action.
Ok, so if Trout and Miggy are pushing with their front leg and using that as a power source why is the leg straightening after they launch....??

Jul 29, 2013
Ok, so if Trout and Miggy are pushing with their front leg and using that as a power source why is the leg straightening after they launch....??
Not sure what you mean by "after they launch," timing- wise. But the extension of the front leg is driving the front hip rearward creating a more forceful turn. Look at the front hip in the Griffey pics and see how it moves rearward in relation to the crowd behind him, while the rear hip stays relatively still and the rear leg relaxes. It's not kicking forward into the swing, it's being drawn into the body. No extension there. If it were, the swing would be being pushed by the rear leg, Instead, it's being pulled around (rotated) by the front leg. Like stretching a rubber band and then stretching it more, the core it coiled by opening the pelvis toward the pitcher while the shoulders counter rotate taking the slack out. Then the front leg extends and pushes the front hip further around and the core already being stretched, pulls the shoulders around.
The rear leg and the forward momentum serve to set up the turn and load the front leg via stretch shortening cycle but the front leg action is what transfers it all into rotational energy.

Jun 8, 2016
Not sure what you mean by "after they launch," timing- wise. But the extension of the front leg is driving the front hip rearward creating a more forceful turn. Look at the front hip in the Griffey pics and see how it moves rearward in relation to the crowd behind him, while the rear hip stays relatively still and the rear leg relaxes. It's not kicking forward into the swing, it's being drawn into the body. No extension there. If it were, the swing would be being pushed by the rear leg, Instead, it's being pulled around (rotated) by the front leg. Like stretching a rubber band and then stretching it more, the core it coiled by opening the pelvis toward the pitcher while the shoulders counter rotate taking the slack out. Then the front leg extends and pushes the front hip further around and the core already being stretched, pulls the shoulders around.
The rear leg and the forward momentum serve to set up the turn and load the front leg via stretch shortening cycle but the front leg action is what transfers it all into rotational energy.
Again I am not saying the front leg doesn't get extended, it does. What I am saying is you are not actively pushing into the ground to extend it. It is the difference between the legs extending when one jumps (actively pushing) vs. one extending their legs from a bent position as a reaction to somebody pushing on their head.

Jul 29, 2013
Again I am not saying the front leg doesn't get extended, it does. What I am saying is you are not actively pushing into the ground to extend it. It is the difference between the legs extending when one jumps (actively pushing) vs. one extending their legs from a bent position as a reaction to somebody pushing on their head.
I get what you're saying. What I'm saying is that if you would actively push on it, you'll get better results. With a lot of players, focusing on the front leg extension will clear up timing issues because that is closer to the actual swing. They can briefly sit into it and time pitches from there, although it takes a little adjusting to learn it. Most want to fire as soon as the front foot touches. Furthermore, the front leg extension causes all of the rear leg stuff to happen naturally. It's more focus on the jump rather than the squat before the jump.
And why I say the front leg is the driver of the high level swing.

Jun 8, 2016
I get what you're saying. What I'm saying is that if you would actively push on it, you'll get better results. With a lot of players, focusing on the front leg extension will clear up timing issues because that is closer to the actual swing. They can briefly sit into it and time pitches from there, although it takes a little adjusting to learn it. Most want to fire as soon as the front foot touches. Furthermore, the front leg extension causes all of the rear leg stuff to happen naturally. It's more focus on the jump rather than the squat before the jump.
And why I say the front leg is the driver of the high level swing.
So when do you actively push? Before/during swing launch or after? If it was before/during I would think the leg extension would occur much closer to launch in a HL swing (e.g. Trout's or Cabrera's) than what I am seeing
FYI, my swing launch is defined as when the barrel starts to arc towards the ball (to answer your previous question regarding swing launch).

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Then explain Ruth...
Let's let Ruth explain it himself......
"My weight is my left (rear) foot, as I start swinging, my weight shifts to my right (lead) foot at the time of contact with the ball." - Babe Ruth
Ruth-Babe-Side.gif

Jun 8, 2016
and yet if his back foot is off the ground before he makes contact, where is his weight. Feel isn't real.
what part of "as I start swinging my weight shifts to my right (lead) foot" did you not understand????
He didn't say "at contact my weight shifts to my right (lead) foot"....

Jul 29, 2013
Bonds wouldn't agree with you.....
BondsvBonds1.gif
I like the pause on #750 where his back foot elevates and unweights. I'd call it sitting, no matter what the comment says. His center of gravity lowers...as if he were about to sit! He's loading into his front leg,....squatting a little deeper.... waiting for the pitch before he extends and drives his front hip rearward. TRY IT!!!! That front hip being forced rearward yanks your torso through. TRY IT !!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00