What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2014
Back knee is in a full vertical position at contact. If the torso pulls the knee along (regardless of hip openness) would you not then assume the knee would never make it to this point? How does the torso get that much movement below the hip if the hip doesn't open fully? Either the knee is moving forward and taking the hip from the bottom up in conjunction with the torso doing the same from the top down, or the knee starts the process and the top half is reacting to this movement.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WHy is the back knee used as a barometer of when and where? The back heel is where the energy is stored and released. Driving the back knee promotes spinning and pulling off IME. Never understood the back knee checkpoint.

The hands and back heel release together after the core finds its ‘spot’ to leverage the swing.

Loads the bottom.

Loads the top. Torqued the middle and repositions the swing(leverage). Back heel and hands still haven’t released.

Releases the swing. Top and bottom. Middle provides the leverage.

Arguably the best hitter in Baseball the past 4 years.

Jul 30, 2018
The rear leg is the Driver.

AGonzalez14.gif

Manny26.gif
Hey RD

I do believe that the leg drives.

I do not believe that the leg drives or is caused to be driven by the launch of the barrel rearward. Clearly the leg drives before launch.

What causes the leg to drive.

I believe that a press on the foot in ground causes this. I do not believe that launching rearward causes this. A cause can't be second, it has to be first.

Now I see so many repeating the que or the theory that the leg is the driver.

In your own words , what causes the leg to drive.

Also, do you FEEL that launching causes the leg to drive and the hip to pop?

Do you not see the leg driving before the handle is torqued?

The leg is first but IMO there is no other way to drive the leg than a press in the ground?

I'd like to hear your take on it!

Thanks for the post!

Apr 11, 2019
Hips rotate from opening the front hip while weight shift occurs. If your front hip isn’t closed or getting closed as your stride/weight transfer works, your hips won’t open correctly and you won’t have the proper swing sequence.

Jul 29, 2013
Thats what I meant.

Has anybody heard of and /or tried the Core Velocity Belt? And is it superior to Power core 360?
I have a core velocity belt. Never heard if the Power Core 360. The Core Velocity basically works to assist the player in turning their hips and taking out the slack in the swing/throw and then the hands are along for the ride. Creates powerful swing/throw through promoting hip and leg activation. Can also be used as a resistance to develop musculature that drives the motion.
It's a good tool.

Jul 29, 2013
Hip rotation in the swing is initiated by the same actions as turning to walk away. The motion always starts as a shift of the center of gravity (pelvis) in the desired direction of movement. Then with the raising of the lead leg, the external rotation of the trailing leg results in the turning of the pelvis.
In a swing, the pelvis can be further rotated when the lead leg contacts the ground and extends back against the initial direction of movement. Because the lead leg is offset from the center of rotation, the linear motion is converted into angular momentum and torque is created. The force created by gravity and forward momentum is loaded into the lead leg and the stretch shortening cycle (SSC) is activated allowing the muscles of the lead leg to powerfully force the turn of the pelvis when the leg is extended.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi