What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
I'm not seeing how you can make that correlation, all your basically doing is saying "See the one on the right looks better so, I'm right." What I'm saying still applies to the one on the right and left. The difference between these 2 swings, is that the player on the left is not maintaining separation into foot plant. She slots mid air. She doesn't maintain posture either. The one on the right still unloads the back leg. You cannot get on to the toe of the rear leg without it unloading. How long a player is going to store energy onto the front is variable based on timing. I would like add also that I'm not advocating that all the power comes from the front side only.
I agree that the power doesn't come from the front side only. The shift of center mass, forward movement, fall from the back leg, and momentum therein loads the front leg, stretching the muscle spindles adding to their forceful contraction resulting in a more powerful extension of the front leg that pushes the front hip rearward adding power to and creating a greater hip rotation.
The rear leg is merely a stilt which the body uses for support when the front leg is elevated and the center of mass being shifted forward, the hitter falls forward gaining momentum via gravity. In some swings, the rear leg outwardly rotates and because it is closed chain when it does, the pelvis is turned.
There are many swings that don't utilize these movements, and they are weak swings.

Jul 29, 2013
"

"

This describes Barry Bonds swing (and a few others) but is not what I would teach at 12 y/o girl. BB was juiced up very large man and his swing IMO is not the GOAT swing. Lots of different swings getting the job done. I like JD Martinez swing (kinda a hybrid between one and two legged) Here another thing to consider. The same player may appear one legged on an inside fastball and then look two legged on an offspeed pitch. Hittin is hard. When they take batting practice that is their intended swing.
I promote teaching a 12 to girl exactly the high level swing. My dd used to routinely hit the ball to the fence when she was 12. This is how she hit as an 18 yo.

Jun 8, 2016
Please define what "swing action" is. Also define "ground reaction pressure."
Finally, what muscles "close to the ground" are you referring to?
Swing action is the act of launching the bat using the core and hands/forearms.

Ground reaction pressure (force) is the equal and opposite pressure (Newton's third law) exerted by the ground on the foot after the load induced by the swing action (defined above) is first transmitted through the leg, (without much if any activation of the leg muscles). The pressure that a sensor would read would be a combination of the person's weight and the force induced by the swing. See:

The muscles close to the ground I am speaking of are the leg muscles.

Jul 29, 2013
Swing action is the act of launching the bat using the core and hands/forearms.

Ground reaction pressure (force) is the equal and opposite pressure (Newton's third law) exerted by the ground on the foot after the load induced by the swing action (defined above) is first transmitted through the leg, (without much if any activation of the leg muscles). The pressure that a sensor would read would be a combination of the person's weight and the force induced by the swing. See:

The muscles close to the ground I am speaking of are the leg muscles.
Now you're onto something. Ground reaction force, GRF. When you push the ground, it basically doesn't move. So while standing upright, extending your legs downward causes your body to move upward and flexing your legs upward would have the opposite affect and your body would move downward? ....equal and opposite actions? and extending or flexing your legs if they aren't in contact with the ground(or something) would have no opposite motion? also known as closed chain (when in contact) and open chain (when not in contact) movements?

But you're saying that the legs really have no or minimal part in the swing?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
When was launch:
tumblr_pxhf56F3C21usf292o1_250.gifv

Jul 29, 2013
When was launch:
tumblr_pxhf56F3C21usf292o1_250.gifv
That's a BIG swing! And a split grip! ooooohhhhh! So he's pulling his front hand rearward and pushing his back hand forward to make the stick turn, right? Torquing the stick?
Looks like the stick accelerates most after he gets to his front foot. The rest of the stick movement is a running start. I don't know anything about hockey except that someone here talked about how they flex the stick as it comes into contact with the ice??? I'd think you need a lot of leverage to do that. If this guy is flexing the stick on the ice, it surely coincides with the timing of the push against his front foot. At least that's what I see in the video. But then I don't know how to play hockey and since I have no preconceived ideas I can only tell you what I see.
What do you see?

Jul 29, 2013
Ok, let's see what we might agree on.
1. Gravity?
2. If you push or extend your legs against an object and the object is immovable, you will move in the opposite direction?
3. If you are standing and draw your legs inward, or flex them, and they are on the ground and gravity present, you will move downward?
4. Pushing or extending your legs against the ground exerts a force and since the earth is unlikely to move, the result will be that you move in the opposite direction of the exerted force?
5. If you lift a leg off the ground, and the leg was weigh bearing, the leg would become unweighted?
6. If you're standing and the squat, you move downward and the pressure against the ground lessens?
7. If you're rotating and draw your limbs inward, you conserve momentum and the result is that you spin faster?
8. For every action, there is an equal an opposite reaction?
9. The Saints are going to win the Superbowl?
Let's see if you agree with any of these points.

Jul 29, 2013
Bobby, any comments on the Donaldson swing I posted....
Great swing. I notice something I'd hadn't seen before. As he gathers on his back leg, the leg is almost fully extended. It's as though he's trying to raise up as high as possible to create more velocity and momentum as he falls off of it to load into the front leg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802