What age to start throwing from knees?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
This was from a team practice session a little while back (not full speed work, just starting to shake off some rust with her new team). Her head is much quieter. Field work vs. cage work.

She looks better. Is she getting front toss? The first clip looked like a machine

May 23, 2015
Velocity doesn't matter, getting the ball to 2B quickest is best. Some catchers will be fastest by taking time for velocity, some will be quicker by fast release. I've seen both.
At what level are you referring to? In your opinion what makes a person have a quicker release? Talent being equal

Mar 10, 2020
Velocity is everything dont kid yourself.
A properly trained catcher can gain 5 to 6 feet of ground in their sleep while on their feet. You cant do that on your knees. Add significantly more velocity and you win. Again, why not train infielders to field a ground ball and throw from their knees if its faster?? Everyone love a bang bang 6-3 from your knees

If throwing from your knees is advantageous multimillionaires on MLB would do it wholesale. They dont because its not

Knees work for immobile catchers. Athletic catchers are far better off gaining ground
Load of crap!
Warning dont try to run the ball there. 2 steps max.
Yeah gain initial ground by throwing threw the play.
Trying to sprint to throw this guy is misguiding people.

Jun 8, 2016
View attachment 19112
2-4 steps in a throw is wrong.
He says its right.
Yeah details matter.
Ok I can see how you would read it that way but he was probably talking about gaining
ground vs taking 4 steps before throwing ( I mean don't I have ever seen anybody do that and I have watched plenty of 10U and 12U softball the last few years)..I doubt he was advocating for that but he can correct me if
I am wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog