What 260’ looks like

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
That animation is obviously not to scale.or something else is wonky since home to third is 60 feet and if you look at that distance and compare it to the distance that ball landed beyond the OF fence (200 ft?) they are not even comparable.

I parked in about that exact spot. After we sat down my wife sent me back to the car because she forgot her phone. Only two realize after I walked all the way back it was in her purse. I think it’s more like a mile.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I've seen a few at Husky Stadium in Seattle that seemed to be halfway on their journey when they cleared the 224 ft fence there. Luckily, Lake Washington is behind the stadium not a parking lot.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD's team was playing at Bellarmine University when she hit the farthest ball I have ever seen her hit. After the game, one of the umpires came up to her to shake her hand. He said to her that he had heard that young ladies could hit a ball that far but he had never seen it. It was a pretty neat moment for the kid.

260' is a major blast!!!

Nov 8, 2020
But can we all agree that 200 foot fences and drop 10 bats are ridiculous?
It's time to move the bases to 75 feet, move the fences to 250 feet and limit the bats to a drop 5 for 14U and older play.
There's no reason that college women should be playing on a field the same dimensions as 6u players (other than pitching rubber) and using the same drop 10 bats.

In baseball the bases go from 60 to 90 feet, the fences go from 230 to 320/400 feet, the mound moves from 45 to 60 feet and the bats go from drop 10 to drop 3 at age 13

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Apr 1, 2017
Home runs are fun. If you want to increase exposure/TV/etc., the last thing you want is a return to 1-0 pitching battles.

Using Oklahoma as the "move the fences" argument is also misleading because they are miles better at hitting home runs than even the #2 team. They average 2.85 per game. Arizona State is second at 2.03. What would be the "acceptable" amount?

Texas A&M is a "top 20 home run hitting team" at 1.38. That's basically 4 hit in a 3 game series. Doesn't seem too crazy to me.

Top 50 team in D-1 and it's only 1 per game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar