What’s the benefit in changing names?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 30, 2022
I stand corrected. Odd that Top Gun didn't want the younger ones (eg their $$) although it might be that they don't actually have any 8U or 10U divisions in their org.
8 and 10u teams have no business playing a single sport year round. It is completely developmentally inappropriate. If you want to do right by your children, play multiple sports that focus on different things and different muscle groups. Until children are at least 12 years old, specializing in one sport year round will lead to overuse injuries and burn out. Those that do take younger teams are definitely only doing it to take the extra income.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm all the youngsters 10u have known (even if softball was their only commitment sport they played)
definitely did all sorts of different recreational and other sport type activities to develop there skill sets and muscles.

Being that California has softball year round and the weather to do other things year-round people tend to do all sorts of different things that include going to the beach swimming surfing, boogie boarding, and to the mountains, snow activities, plus theres bicycling skateboarding, and PE classes where they experience different sports. Plus people use community recreational programs to do things like cheer. Can't say I've ever seen a young person stagnate doing nothing other than just softball.

Perhaps when they get older they might start getting pigeon hold in one sport but with all the cross training that people do, dont think body and muscle development is really an issue.🤷‍♀️

Jun 8, 2016
8 and 10u teams have no business playing a single sport year round. It is completely developmentally inappropriate. If you want to do right by your children, play multiple sports that focus on different things and different muscle groups. Until children are at least 12 years old, specializing in one sport year round will lead to overuse injuries and burn out. Those that do take younger teams are definitely only doing it to take the extra income.
Yeah my 12 YO DD plays bball so no need for the lecture…

Apr 20, 2015
I guess the question is nowadays how many of the well known orgs in the country only have top flight teams? 5? 10?

Beverly Bandits, Chill, Indiana Magic Gold, Grapettes….are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Top Gun and KC select out of KC. Demarini Aces has the Mid Mo Aces which are generally not as high level. Stl chaos but they don’t tend to fair really well out against the better national teams….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
As far as people saying travel teams/orgs have placed players in college.

Think that is absolutely inaccurate and a wrong statement .

Travel ball coaches do not put/place players in to College Programs,
*that does not happen!

Tb/orgs have zero authority over what happens with players getting into colleges.

Matter of semantics. Obviously the players are/were recruited by the college coaches - it’s similar to high schools saying they’ve placed students in the Ivy League for college. We all know the school did not “place” them there - the student got there by their own hard work and study habits. However, high schools will use that in their profiles that they send to colleges so admissions know exactly how many students were “placed” at their college from that HS. It helps the student if there are a high number getting into the Ivies from that school. Same goes for TB - it helps the player if the college coach can see how many recruits that team has “placed” into college SB programs over the years.

Jun 8, 2016
Beverly Bandits, Chill, Indiana Magic Gold, Grapettes….are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Top Gun and KC select out of KC. Demarini Aces has the Mid Mo Aces which are generally not as high level. Stl chaos but they don’t tend to fair really well out against the better national teams….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any SE/NE teams? Not really familiar with NE teams tbh outside of RI Thunder.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Matter of semantics. Obviously the players are/were recruited by the college coaches
Yes, and for the most part it wouldn't matter what Jersey the players were wearing when the coaches recognize the athletes as a prospect.

True there are teams that have the opportunity for the top tier talent to be on them but those teams are not that many compared to the many teams that College coaches sort through.

For instance players that play at USA preps showcases it wouldn't matter what team a player was on at that showcase.
Simply that they are in front of the colleges that are there.
It doesn't matter what travel ball team a player is on when they go to College camps, because it's all about what the player does in front of the college coaches.

The thing that college coaches need to know is not just what team and organization a player plays for but what the coach's name is so they can identify the exact team.

. Same goes for TB - it helps the player if the college coach can see how many recruits that team has “placed” into college SB programs over the years.
Tb coaches having a reputation at different Talent levels can happen.
However if the college coach has not heard from the players that will stand out like a sore thumb.

Because it takes all of the players to be contacting the colleges so that the colleges know the players are interested in their program and campus.

Travel ball coaches are not the ones contacting the college coaches for all the individual players different needs and directions.

May 27, 2013
Yes, and for the most part it wouldn't matter what Jersey the players were wearing when the coaches recognize the athletes as a prospect.

True there are teams that have the opportunity for the top tier talent to be on them but those teams are not that many compared to the many teams that College coaches sort through.

For instance players that play at USA preps showcases it wouldn't matter what team a player was on at that showcase.
Simply that they are in front of the colleges that are there.
It doesn't matter what travel ball team a player is on when they go to College camps, because it's all about what the player does in front of the college coaches.

The thing that college coaches need to know is not just what team and organization a player plays for but what the coach's name is so they can identify the exact team.

Tb coaches having a reputation at different Talent levels can happen.
However if the college coach has not heard from the players that will stand out like a sore thumb.

Because it takes all of the players to be contacting the colleges so that the colleges know the players are interested in their program and campus.

Travel ball coaches are not the ones contacting the college coaches for all the individual players different needs and directions.

I think you missed my point. If a player plays for a very good program that has had many previous players play for specific college programs and they are already on a coach’s radar, it helps that college coach to know that the recruit is probably receiving good coaching, playing good competition, and has the skills to compete and succeed as a player in their program.

It is the reason why some TB teams are low-key considered “feeders” to specific college teams.

May 27, 2013
And let me just add - my DD’s TB head coach absolutely would reach out to the college coach of any camp one of our players was attending both before and after. Every time a coach would email a player back confirming that they would be at the showcase we were attending, he’d call that coach beforehand and make it a point to chat with them while they were at our games as well. He had us other coaches to coach the bases for him when he did that. He has been doing it this way for many, many years.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Any SE/NE teams? Not really familiar with NE teams tbh outside of RI Thunder.
Newtown Rock is a big org in the NE with a big track record of D1 commits. There are several others, but we compete with soccer and lacrosse for talent around here.
As for the SE, there are plenty. Tampa Mustangs, Georgia Impact, Birmingham Thunderbolts, EC Bullets. All have very good reputations and track records. I won't include the Lady Dukes because you're just wearing their jersey unless you play for Lamar.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs