What’s the benefit in changing names?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I've seen the same crappy coaches shift names and orgs year after year until the well finally runs dry. Sometimes, it amazes me just how long it takes people to catch on.

Jun 8, 2016
In my experience, it takes a lot of communication with the showcase director and a proven track record of wins against good teams to get on the good fields at the top showcases. They usually start accepting applications for them a year in advance, so waiting until the fall for next summer might be too late to start having those conversations.

Honestly, it’s pretty difficult unless you play for a known org whose top teams already play in those showcases. The only other way might be somehow playing, and doing well against, the known top teams who are already in the showcase to give your team some credibility. Even then, sometimes you might have a great team but the coach has a bad rep in the TB circuit for some reason or another. They might not let a good team in for that reason alone.

The other way is by being willing to play on the crappy fields and against lesser competition and blowing out those teams for a season to prove you belong with the big dogs. Word gets back to the TD that a team is winning by a lot and they will re-evaluate where they belong the next time they are in the same showcase.
How many of these college coaches at these good fields are window shopping? I would want to play on the good fields because typically you will be playing better competition so you can get better. Doing it for the off chance that Patty sees you and is wowed seems shortsighted..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How many of these college coaches at these good fields are window shopping?
Many a time they are getting a look at the up-and-coming talent they have already signed. And the off chance they may see another player on the team that catches their eye.

This is where the signed roster players on travel ball teams attract attention for their other team members.
Tho it may have the common thread of a coach who has been there before and that becomes the platform,
* it is really the players themselves that attract the colleges.

Definitely know that College coaches have seen the shuffle of travel ball coaches also. From year to year the quality of players on a coach's roster may not be consistent to the previous year.
Smaller handful of travel ball coaches have some sort of consistency. But not as much because there are so many different organizations and teams for players.
Better players are spread around.

Jun 8, 2016
Many a time they are getting a look at the up-and-coming talent they have already signed. And the off chance they may see another player on the team that catches their eye.

This is where the signed roster players on travel ball teams attract attention for their other team members.
Tho it may have the common thread of a coach who has been there before and that becomes the platform,
* it is really the players themselves that attract the colleges.

Definitely know that College coaches have seen the shuffle of travel ball coaches also. From year to year the quality of players on a coach's roster may not be consistent to the previous year.
Smaller handful of travel ball coaches have some sort of consistency. But not as much because there are so many different organizations and teams for players.
Better players are spread around.
I went and watched a few 16u and 18U games at Top Club this year as it was right down the road from me and there were a number of top college coaching staffs there (Corona Angels, Birmingham Thunderbolts were there playing, among others)..but for the most part they were too busy talking to each other to notice anybody..I mean Lisa Fernandez could have been there uncommitted and they wouldn't have noticed :ROFLMAO:

Oct 4, 2018
A team that formed in Aug 2021. My guess. An All Star that experienced some success and broke away from their league.

Kentucky Chrome are one of the best teams in the Southeast in many age brackets. It's them, Atlanta Vipers, Georgia Impact, Mojo (in the 12U and 10U ages especially). Very good, winning National tourneys and PGF Super Selects.

I'll be sad to see them gone. Had pretty Carolina Blue uniforms.

Jun 8, 2016
Kentucky Chrome are one of the best teams in the Southeast in many age brackets. It's them, Atlanta Vipers, Georgia Impact, Mojo (in the 12U and 10U ages especially). Very good, winning National tourneys and PGF Super Selects.

I'll be sad to see them gone. Had pretty Carolina Blue uniforms.
No love for Thunderbolts? Or is Alabama its own region.. :ROFLMAO:

Oct 4, 2018
We joined an EC Bullets team two years ago when there were only 2-3 in the 12U age in Georgia. Now there are 10 or so.

The rumor is the head of the Org has two daughters that are finally now off playing in college. So he went from being an exclusive org that you had to mostly be invited to join to now if you have the money you can join. Costs $3,000 to use the name and have the right to buy their exclusive uniforms at their exclusively high prices. I can't blame him -- he did it for his girls, built the brand for a decade. Now he's cashing out.

It used to be you showed up at a tourney and feared the Bullets. Now I see some with pretty bad teams, bad records, etc. The brand has certainly tarnished.

I do fear that's happening in the SouthEast with Lady Dukes and Thunderbolts as well. Tons of new teams have sprung up in those Orgs near Atlanta and most aren't as good as what they were a few years ago.

Oct 4, 2018
No love for Thunderbolts? Or is Alabama its own region.. :ROFLMAO:

The Birmingham Thunderbolts '09 Alford is a solid team. We recently just beat them for the first time ever, and it was a solid win. But they recently expanded to Georgia and basically an org called PRIME that was average all became Georgia Thunderbolts. And some of those teams are lousy.

There is a Florida Thunderbolts '09 team (Pynes, I think) that is very good.

Jun 8, 2016
The Birmingham Thunderbolts '09 Alford is a solid team. We recently just beat them for the first time ever, and it was a solid win. But they recently expanded to Georgia and basically an org called PRIME that was average all became Georgia Thunderbolts. And some of those teams are lousy.

There is a Florida Thunderbolts '09 team (Pynes, I think) that is very good.
Ok I thought you were talking about all age groups..they are very good at 16's and 18's...I know about Alford but not sure about their other 12's and 14's.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We joined an EC Bullets team two years ago when there were only 2-3 in the 12U age in Georgia. Now there are 10 or so.

The rumor is the head of the Org has two daughters that are finally now off playing in college. So he went from being an exclusive org that you had to mostly be invited to join to now if you have the money you can join. Costs $3,000 to use the name and have the right to buy their exclusive uniforms at their exclusively high prices. I can't blame him -- he did it for his girls, built the brand for a decade. Now he's cashing out.

It used to be you showed up at a tourney and feared the Bullets. Now I see some with pretty bad teams, bad records, etc. The brand has certainly tarnished.

I do fear that's happening in the SouthEast with Lady Dukes and Thunderbolts as well. Tons of new teams have sprung up in those Orgs near Atlanta and most aren't as good as what they were a few years ago.
There's a great example of a typical scenario.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles