What’s the benefit in changing names?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Locally the Bombers organization has eaten up several organizations over the years while becoming the monster program. Houston Power, Aces Express and other smaller ones. This I believe had a part in the demise of DD's former longtime program. They kept it cheap, simple and low key while competing at a high level. Unfortunately, the HC had to retire. He coached one of my wife's co workers. LOL.

I hate going to a tourney or looking at a bracket and seeing 3 out of the last 4 teams left are bomber teams. What I love seeing is the smaller one off teams organizations making some noise. How about the Dirt Divas, Prolific, Texas Riptide? Riptide has the "#1" 14U player in the country. I hope they stay the same team. Divas and Prolific got kids recruited without the need of the big time name. They just flat out compete and win with coaches that don't waver. How about Lady Dukes? Well a few years back...now they exploded.

I think it's pure laziness of coaches and parents. "If we join xyz organization things we will be automatically better" Yes, there is a structure in place the coaches don't have to deal with. Yes there is the logo recognition. College coaches don't like it. It's too confusing. Every try to find a player on a team online?

IMO, I like to see a healthy organization with no more than 2-3 teams per age division. Program head will have an idea of who each kid is. They can follow progress and development as they matriculate through the org. The ultimate goal is to play on the top team in the org. Call me old fashioned!

Jun 8, 2016
There are good teams in big orgs and good teams in local independent orgs..just have to pay attention and do some research.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The LD organization has been growing faster than the pace of inflation. They add teams every week, it seems. Some go for bigger exposure, while some don't to get away from a bad name.

I know one organization who were banned by TNJ because of bad behavior by coaches and parents a few years back. Think red solo cups and the resultant fights that ensued. The only way they could get back in TNJ was to join The LDs. Sadly, the red solo cups are still around...

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The LD organization has been growing faster than the pace of inflation. They add teams every week, it seems. Some go for bigger exposure, while some don't to get away from a bad name.

I know one organization who were banned by TNJ because of bad behavior by coaches and parents a few years back. Think red solo cups and the resultant fights that ensued. The only way they could get back in TNJ was to join The LDs. Sadly, the red solo cups are still around...
I like me a good drink, but I can't understand drinking at a tourney while at the park. Maybe after the last game has been played in the lot or at the hotel. It's too damn hot and I would be taking a disco nap in the truck after a few hours.

BIL's kid plays 10U baseball, and was sharing a horror story of a mom from last weekend. Mom shows up at the 8am game already drunk and was belligerent all morning. To the umps, to the kids, to the parents, and to the coaches. The coach is a subdued engineering type that is not equipped to handle this situation. Mom also handing out vodka soaked pineapples. Another dad on the team told BIL, I have been around the restaurant industry for a long time and I know the difference between being drunk and being A DRUNK. She is the latter. Kid is also not a good apple. Super long story but you get the gist. Can't wait to hear if this family gets kicked off the team.

The first time I saw something like this happen back in 10U days first tourney. I remember seeing dad earlier in the day. No issues. 5pm, I see dad wondering the parking lot, sunburnt, slurring his words and looking spent. He never did that again.

Jun 8, 2016
Since you brought it up, why is that? I can easily find the team I am looking for (like the top 1/2 selections) when I am adding them as an opponent for a game but it's like they don't exist when I am just searching for them.
Heck if I know..spent many an hour trying the 8^15 permutations for a team to try and find them..

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Since you brought it up, why is that? I can easily find the team I am looking for (like the top 1/2 selections) when I am adding them as an opponent for a game but it's like they don't exist when I am just searching for them.
Same here. It's so annoying.

Aug 10, 2020
The reason they're doing this is because when their older girls go to college camps, they have a recognizable name on their shirts. If two players are of equal ability, the college coach is more likely to pay more attention to the player with a recognizable name on their jersey because the impression will be that that player is more "elite" or on a more competitive team. Same with emails, the "Bombers" player is going to get a better reaction than the player from a more local team.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The reason they're doing this is because when their older girls go to college camps, they have a recognizable name on their shirts. If two players are of equal ability, the college coach is more likely to pay more attention to the player with a recognizable name on their jersey because the impression will be that that player is more "elite" or on a more competitive team. Same with emails, the "Bombers" player is going to get a better reaction than the player from a more local team.
Well, you can't trick the coaches more than a few times. They tend to catch on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles