Went to see a couple pgf games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If you were the father of a pitcher you would want hitters to try and hit a dinker over 2nd base too.
As the father of pitchers I would prefer all hitters hope for a mistake and swing out of their shoes. As you spend time in this game you will find that what works in 12U does not fly in 18U or certainly not in college. One trick ponies usually languish on the pine.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Lets MFGA!! Make Fastpitch Great Again! I want girls taking "me swings" about 85% of the time but also being capable of hitting a ground ball to the right side when situation calls for it. "Me swing" is the swing they use in BP (controlled power)I think it is a disservice to any player to teach them or ask them to take an armsy, weak, just make contact swing. Girl plays for 10 years and finds herself on a PGF worthy team and the coach wants them to "just put it in play"???? Of course 0-2 counts the swing get a little shorter. I am sure girls at 18u level understand counts. How is a girl going to get recruited taking "put it in play swings"? When you watch the college WS the best team's number 8 and 9 batter are taking real cuts.(me swings)

Side note: Every player should be able to get a bunt down! Number 3-5 hitters that cannot (will not) bunt is poor coaching.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Lets MFGA!! Make Fastpitch Great Again! I want girls taking "me swings" about 85% of the time but also being capable of hitting a ground ball to the right side when situation calls for it. "Me swing" is the swing they use in BP (controlled power)I think it is a disservice to any player to teach them or ask them to take an armsy, weak, just make contact swing. Girl plays for 10 years and finds herself on a PGF worthy team and the coach wants them to "just put it in play"???? Of course 0-2 counts the swing get a little shorter. I am sure girls at 18u level understand counts. How is a girl going to get recruited taking "put it in play swings"? When you watch the college WS the best team's number 8 and 9 batter are taking real cuts.(me swings)

Side note: Every player should be able to get a bunt down! Number 3-5 hitters that cannot (will not) bunt is poor coaching.

I coached in PGF this year. I believe we finished 5th or 6th. Having girls take controlled swings is how you win games. Power is relative to the hitter/timing and approach they take . Stay short and compact is usually what the pros are thinking. Please show me where any player ( baseball or softball ) says ' I was trying to jack one out '. And I'll show you a low average and a lot of slumps. I believe you try to get off your A swing as much as possible .

Mike trout has said he doesn't like to take BP on the field very much because he fears getting to big because he watches his ball flight on the field . Mookie Betts has said he wasn't a HR hitter. Those just happen to go out . He was just trying to square up the ball . 'ME' swings are the fastest way to a slump and 0fers.

Hitting is discipline and technique . And it needs to have a yin and yang approach.

Ps. I will never/have never/will ask a player for a 'ME' swing. I ask for a good swing. Discipline always.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Ps. I will never/have never/will ask a player for a 'ME' swing. I ask for a good swing. Discipline always.

I guess you guys must be watching different 10U/12U softball because I don't really see girls taking ME swings..just their swings.
Some of those swings are good some are bad but they are pretty consistent either way. What I am arguing against is a hitter, good or bad
modifying their swing with less than 2 strikes to try and place a ball where a fielder cannot get it.Sure maybe shorten up a little with 2 strikes, that I can
see.

Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention to the college world series but I didn't see kids (again non-slappers) taking 3/4 swings to try and punch the ball to a location where the fielders couldn't get it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Me swings to me are swinging for the fences. Usually starts in 18s. When the girls can/want to think for themselves. In the WCWS the girls don't have Me swings they are about staying short and doing their job. IMO.

Staying coachable and disciplined are key at the 18u level.As a matter a fact the higher you go the more you need to evolve in any sport you play. A player can easily fall apart if they don't have the yin and yang .

Feb 16, 2015
South East
My DD who is about to start her Sophomore year of HS, has been playing in some high exposure type tournaments and the feed back from the college coaches are in line with what Rise Ball is stating. I like some posting in this thread was surprised to hear that they (the college coaches) want to know if she can do what is necessary to get the runner in from 3rd or move her over when they need it. The feed back we are getting back is that she obviously has power but we want to know if she can hit that blooper to the right side over the infield with 2 outs to score that girl at 3rd when we need her to. Because of this feedback we are having to change her approach by putting the SLG % on the back burner so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Sure man, Russia didn't do anything...Don't worry, I'm sure your guy will be able to get a job under Putin after the Mueller investigation is finished.

Heck Puter can retire after becoming the richest man in the world during 2008-2016. Was your boy in office then? Collusion??? Or just flexibility after the election hahaha.

Hopefully mueller puts the criminals in jail, all the criminals.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
As the father of pitchers I would prefer all hitters hope for a mistake and swing out of their shoes. As you spend time in this game you will find that what works in 12U does not fly in 18U or certainly not in college. One trick ponies usually languish on the pine.

Right you want to be a complete hitter. Complete hitters dont need a mistake pitch to hit it hard. Complete hitters will make a pitcher come to the plate with their best pitch and blast it.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I coached in PGF this year. I believe we finished 5th or 6th. Having girls take controlled swings is how you win games. Power is relative to the hitter/timing and approach they take . Stay short and compact is usually what the pros are thinking. Please show me where any player ( baseball or softball ) says ' I was trying to jack one out '. And I'll show you a low average and a lot of slumps. I believe you try to get off your A swing as much as possible .

Mike trout has said he doesn't like to take BP on the field very much because he fears getting to big because he watches his ball flight on the field . Mookie Betts has said he wasn't a HR hitter. Those just happen to go out . He was just trying to square up the ball . 'ME' swings are the fastest way to a slump and 0fers.

Hitting is discipline and technique . And it needs to have a yin and yang approach.

Please describe your "A swing".

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
My DD who is about to start her Sophomore year of HS, has been playing in some high exposure type tournaments and the feed back from the college coaches are in line with what Rise Ball is stating. I like some posting in this thread was surprised to hear that they (the college coaches) want to know if she can do what is necessary to get the runner in from 3rd or move her over when they need it. The feed back we are getting back is that she obviously has power but we want to know if she can hit that blooper to the right side over the infield with 2 outs to score that girl at 3rd when we need her to. Because of this feedback we are having to change her approach by putting the SLG % on the back burner so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can speak to this. When my DD was being recruited at her future college camp. The coach had specific hitting drills to see if you could control your barrel and get the runner over so to speak. It's about having control of your barrel and your swing. Power was secondary.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy