Went to see a couple pgf games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When you get to the college level the best swing you can have is one that your coach appreciates. If your coach doesn't like your swing it really doesn't matter how much the hitter likes it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In all honesty I'm not up to speed on your interaction. All of my comments were too isolated posts between different members.

As far as I'm concerned with the situation of a runner on third with 2 outs . I'm am going with tendencies of the pitcher as far as approach. The swing should be short so to see it deep and not be fooled. Not a punch hit but a short swing .

Pujols said when he's in a 2 strike approach he tries to hit a liner over the 1st basemens head, so he can see it as deep as possible so he will not be fooled .Not the same situation but I definitely use this approach when I need a ball in play . Maybe RB meant a short swing ?

I seem to recall hearing Pujols say that hitting a line drive that just cleared the 2Ber was his default thought.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
When you get to the college level the best swing you can have is one that your coach appreciates. If your coach doesn't like your swing it really doesn't matter how much the hitter likes it.

I can see that. However that then does bring up the question of why a coach would recruit a kid whose swing you don't like to begin with.
I guess they sometimes recruit an athlete and figure they can mold their swing to something which fits their eye?
I have no clue about how any of this works tbh :cool: Not sure if I will have to either, at this point I am just trying to enjoy 10U softball..

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Well ... here's the rub ... many college coaches don't understand hitting that well ... but they sure do appreciate a hitter that helps score runs for their team.

One of my hitters had the coach's bothering her about her swing her freshman year in college. The next summer she worked with me trying to embed a working swing within the constraints established by her college coaches. After a few weeks of this she showed up early for a lesson and watched two other kids killing the ball. At the start of her lesson she said she wanted to hit the ball like those two girls. I told her that wasn't going to be possible given the constraints that her college coach had placed on her swing. She told me she didn't care ... and with that we went to work for the rest of the summer. When she returned to college her coaches saw the results and decided to leave her alone ... she went on to lead her college team in hitting that year and became an all-american.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
so, they are taking batting practice and the coach blurts out "hit a blooper over 2B. Really??

Blooper is your word not mine, but yes they may have several Bownets, buckets, old helmets, etc. and they actually hit with a purpose at those targets. They are using a short, controlled, very effective swing. As I mentioned they are not just swinging away hoping for the best. Pat Murphy utilizes multiple tees at Alabama. They hit off a tee from home plate with a tee set up near the pitcher, one in front of second base, one at 2nd base, and another on the edge of the grass. Last I heard he has only had one player ever knock the ball off each tee with only 4 swings. But they do try.

Jun 8, 2016
Blooper is your word not mine,
That was my word actually and I want full credit for it..:cool: Hitting to targets is actually a pretty good
drill although I would prefer they use front toss for it. Still not convinced changing one's swing with 2 outs and
a girl on third, ,e.g. a situation which calls for a base hit, is the best practice. If a hitter has a better chance of getting
a hit with that approach why wouldn't they use it for every AB? With that said, if it is working for some teams
then who am I to complain I guess ;)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can see that. However that then does bring up the question of why a coach would recruit a kid whose swing you don't like to begin with.
I guess they sometimes recruit an athlete and figure they can mold their swing to something which fits their eye?
I have no clue about how any of this works tbh :cool: Not sure if I will have to either, at this point I am just trying to enjoy 10U softball..

Well ... here's the rub ... many college coaches don't understand hitting that well ... but they sure do appreciate a hitter that helps score runs for their team.

One of my hitters had the coach's bothering her about her swing her freshman year in college. The next summer she worked with me trying to embed a working swing within the constraints established by her college coaches. After a few weeks of this she showed up early for a lesson and watched two other kids killing the ball. At the start of her lesson she said she wanted to hit the ball like those two girls. I told her that wasn't going to be possible given the constraints that her college coach had placed on her swing. She told me she didn't care ... and with that we went to work for the rest of the summer. When she returned to college her coaches saw the results and decided to leave her alone ... she went on to lead her college team in hitting that year and became an all-american.

Ultimately, it is results that matter. But in order to show those results, you must first make it to the field. Sometimes that means making some compromises to show the coach that you are working on what they want. The 23u team I coached this summer included girls from multiple different colleges. Each of those coaches have different viewpoints and different goals concerning what they are looking for. Some of those coaches are more results oriented. One, in fact, allows his player to come home and work with me when she can. Some other coaches are looking for specific mechanics, and will keep players on the bench unless they show what they are looking for.

pattar -- I often wonder some of the same things. A player at one of the schools 3 of my players play for led her state in home runs during her senior year in high school. This school recruited her very hard. Shortly after she arrived, the coach immediately started to request her to make changes to her swing. Now she has trouble hitting home runs in batting practice. While at a game this spring watching the players I know, I had the opportunity to talk to this girl's parents. They were just as confused about the process.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I seem to recall hearing Pujols say that hitting a line drive that just cleared the 2Ber was his default thought.

Not sure which video I heard Albert say it but it resonated because I thought up the middle was good enough . But he said 1st base which surprised me. Either way . The thought is to see it as deep as possible so your not fooled.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs