Went to see a couple pgf games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Please describe your "A swing".

A swing would be a well timed , short to long through cut. I think you get your A swing off when you have an idea what the pitcher is gonna throw . I always try to get the goal to be ' get off your A swing before 2 strikes '. After that it's about fouling off the tough ones and trying to earn a mistake pitch. At the same time you wear down the pitchers mind and body. Attrition. My DD is a pitcher and ss. She hates it when hitters keep spoiling her best 2strike pitch over and over. To me this is the way to beat a good pitcher .

Ps. 'A' swing is about approach and mechanics to me.Im not sure If you were asking in more a mechanical aspect . That's what I mean when I tell my players to give me their A swing .

Last edited:

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I mostly agree. DD complained about batters repeatedly fouling off pitches. I told her a foul ball is much better than a hard hit ball for pitchers. The batter is in protect mode, just trying not to die. You have them right where you want them. Only a matter of time before they softly pop one foul to the catcher or one of the corners in front of the dugout. Stay focus and keep making your pitch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I mostly agree. DD complained about batters repeatedly fouling off pitches. I told her a foul ball is much better than a hard hit ball for pitchers. The batter is in protect mode, just trying not to die. You have them right where you want them. Only a matter of time before they softly pop one foul to the catcher or one of the corners in front of the dugout. Stay focus and keep making your pitch.

That is the pitchers world. Out last and outsmart each hitter. Pitchers are ultra competitive or at least should be.

Jun 8, 2016
I can speak to this. When my DD was being recruited at her future college camp. The coach had specific hitting drills to see if you could control your barrel and get the runner over so to speak. It's about having control of your barrel and your swing. Power was secondary.

I am speaking to a specific situation..2 outs with a man on 3rd,e.g. what was originally mentioned. I am not talking about moving a runner over, etc. The situation I am speaking to REQUIRES A HIT. If you can hit a blooper and get a hit whenever you want then you should be able to hit 1.000

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
That's the second time you took my post and turned it into something I didn't say. But whatever I'm not looking for an argument . Just saying what my experience is coaching and my DDs recruitment. 12 yrs exp now. Take it or leave it.

I didn't quote you. I was speaking to DRdrodds post. Just my DDs experience .

yeah we all know you need a hit when there's 2 outs and a runner on third. at that point it doesn't matter where it goes.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think (know) are definitions of "Me Swing" differ. I never meant it to mean trying to hit a HR. But trying to hit a blooper over 2B?????? Thats crazy talk. I would agree with pattar, if a player could do this she would bat 1.000. There are still some old school coaches out there that teach to hit ground balls. I have heard this "bouncing balls win championships". Now this may be true sometimes and girls should be able to hit a ground ball and bunt when needed but I prefer line drives in the gaps.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think (know) are definitions of "Me Swing" differ. I never meant it to mean trying to hit a HR. But trying to hit a blooper over 2B?????? Thats crazy talk. I would agree with pattar, if a player could do this she would bat 1.000. There are still some old school coaches out there that teach to hit ground balls. I have heard this "bouncing balls win championships". Now this may be true sometimes and girls should be able to hit a ground ball and bunt when needed but I prefer line drives in the gaps.

All I can say is the "crazy talk" you describe is the norm in the SEC and virtually every top program in college. As the baseball guy said over 100 years ago, hit'em where they ain't.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
That's the second time you took my post and turned it into something I didn't say. But whatever I'm not looking for an argument . Just saying what my experience is coaching and my DDs recruitment. 12 yrs exp now. Take it or leave it.

I didn't quote you. I was speaking to DRdrodds post. Just my DDs experience .

yeah we all know you need a hit when there's 2 outs and a runner on third. at that point it doesn't matter where it goes.

You are correct, you didn't quote me, my apologies. Riseball and others (including you) obviously know more about what goes on at 18U and above
so if you guys are saying that trying to punch the ball for a basehit when there is a girl on third with 2 outs happens then I have no doubt it does. Doesn't mean I have to agree that it makes any sense :cool:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You are correct, you didn't quote me, my apologies. Riseball obviously knows more about what goes on at 18U and above so if he is saying that
trying to punch the ball for a basehit when there is a girl on third with 2 outs happens then I have no doubt it does. Doesn't mean I have to agree
that it makes any sense :cool:

In all honesty I'm not up to speed on your interaction. All of my comments were too isolated posts between different members.

As far as I'm concerned with the situation of a runner on third with 2 outs . I'm am going with tendencies of the pitcher as far as approach. The swing should be short so to see it deep and not be fooled. Not a punch hit but a short swing .

Pujols said when he's in a 2 strike approach he tries to hit a liner over the 1st basemens head, so he can see it as deep as possible so he will not be fooled .Not the same situation but I definitely use this approach when I need a ball in play . Maybe RB meant a short swing ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs