Wanting to win

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
With some of the recent posts about sports psychology and teaching kids to win, I thought I'd share what I think was an insight for me this weekend -

My DD is on a new team, which finished 2nd in a tournament last weekend. Lot of close games, the c'ship came down to an international tiebreaker. I can't remember seeing my DD want to win as much as she did last weekend. She made the best catch of her life at one key point, and I honestly think it was 10 percent skill and 90 percent desire. She just did not want to lose. No way she was going to let that ball drop. First time she's ever laid out and caught a ball, did it on the run in CF.

Last season, she played for a coach who preached teamwork. He constantly told the kids to cheer in the dugout, to high five, to be together as a team throughout the tournament, be loud, always show energy. Rah-rah-rah.

So my DD says to me after this weekend, to the effect that, 'My old team cheered and had energy, but it was fake. We did it because we were coached to do it. We wanted to win because the coach was so competitive that we didn't want to let him down and make him disappointed in us. We played in fear of making mistakes and losing.'

With the new team, the desire to win, IMO, has little to being taught to win. It's about relationships with the players and the coaches. They like and care about each other in a way that the other team didn't. Several of them go to the same school. They're friends on and off the field. They wanted my DD on the team partly b/c of her playing ability, but at least as much for the mere fact that they liked her and wanted to be her teammate. The previous team wasn't bad. It was probably typical. She liked the players, and they liked her, but there wasn't the same level of loyalty, unconditional regard that she gets from this team.

Now, to my point. People here have talked about how too many travel players don't care that much if they win, or don't know how to win. Kids want to win, but their need for loyalty and acceptance is greater in most cases, IMO. Why? Because what does it mean to win? Unless it's something you share with teammates that you like, and who like you as a person, not just a player, then there's no real meaning it. It's hollow. If you feel like you'll be replaced as soon as the team can find a better hitter or fielder, that the team has no loyalty to you, then how can you be loyal to them? The desire to win, at least in the case of my DD, comes from a sense of belonging, camaraderie, sisterhood, something that I can't exactly put a finger on. It has less to do with exerting superiority and feeling better than someone else and more to do with TEAM and WE and US. We're in this together. These are my buds, and I'm sticking up for them.

How you develop that intangible on a showcase or cut-throat travel team is beyond me. No wonder they don't want or know how to win. For many of these teams, it's fake.

Makes me wonder if coaches who are trying to teach their kids to win might be going about it the wrong way.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
The best Travel teams Teach exactly what you are talking about. wanting to win and doing it successfully requires taking advantage of all the intangibles and developing a strong team sisterhood is certainly one of those.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The best Travel teams Teach exactly what you are talking about. wanting to win and doing it successfully requires taking advantage of all the intangibles and developing a strong team sisterhood is certainly one of those.

I don't disagree, and I exaggerated in suggesting that high-level travel teams cannot attain this intangible. But I think it helps explain why many don't. And why a lot of players don't care that much about winning on the teams they're on.

Last edited:

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Makes me wonder if coaches who are trying to teach their kids to win might be going about it the wrong way.

They certainly are. The coach should effectively put an environment together that develops a genuine "desire to win" for the players. It should never be about the coaches. They already had their glory days in the sun. It should always be about the players or else the players will definitely see through it and recognize that it is fake.

Jul 26, 2010
I think that, for the most part, the kids want to win, and the coaches want to win, and the coaches want to teach the kids to win. It's the parents that get nuts with the "showing" and the individual nature of having to beat out their own teammates for "college scout" attention.

-W

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Was thinking more about my post today and decided I probably could've shortened it and just said -

You can't teach kids to want to win. You have to inspire them to want to win.

Question then becomes - How should coaches go about inspiring their players to want to win?

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Coogans,
The OP was good stuff. I see it all the time, but couldn't put a finger on it until reading the post.

May I quote that post outside of DFP?

Aug 14, 2011
I wonder how much of this has to do with the fact that today's kids have a different mentality. Since they were little they have been told that they're the best, they get prices or ribbons or awards for everything. Even when they lose! Positive encouragement is all fine and grand, but I think we have this mentality that we have to tell our children all the time how wonderful they are and perhaps they're losing a little bit of that "innate" competitive edge.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
My DD's coaches have very high expectations and push them very hard. They do a good job of letting know their work will pay off. As a first year 10u team in the spring they had their struggles playing all A class tourneys and mostly all older teams. Even when they lost a tough game the coaches were positive and kept reminding them it would pay off. You could see the desire to win and keep improving in all the girls. I believe the coaches built this desire by pushing them to be their best and even on bad days reminding them of why they work so hard.

They ended up winning their last regular tourney of the summer by beating two of the three teams in our state. This made them push even harder because they started to see the results. Now they are 10-0 on the fall with two 1st place trophies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors